Thursday, 10 February 2011

Hotel Chocolat Santa

We are nearly nearing the end of the Christmas reviewing, this is the 2nd chocolate Santa I have reviewed, however this one was better on 2 factors; firstly it was cheaper than the Thorntons one, only £1.80 reduced from £6 an absolute bargain and secondly it was Hotel Chocolat, which although I love their filled chocolates I don't love their plain milk chocolate, however it is much nicer than Thorntons; it's far less sweet and has a much more intense cocoa flavour due to its 40% cocoa solids, which give it a slightly woody notes. It is quite creamy, but not as much as Thorntons but it's certainly not verging on dry/waxy at all. Despite it being better quality chocolate and not burning my mouth with sugar I don't think it's as cute as the Thorntons Santa, this one looks a bit more scary I think although I do like the detail on his buttons of the Hotel Chocolat logo which I thought was a nice touch. I definately wouldn't have bought him if he wasn't in the sale but any chocolate at the price is too good to miss, I think for a child the Thorntons santa may be more appropriate but for an adult who likes a bit more of a...sophisticated santa I would opt for this one.

Hotel Chocolat Santa

Taste - 7/10 - I don't really love Hotel Chocolat milk chocolate loads, I'm not too sure what it is about it, I don't think its creamy enough for me, however it is good quality and if you like deeper cocoa rich chocolate you'll love this.
Texture - 7/10 - Has a really good snap to it and melts in the mouth well but again it's just not creamy or smooth enough to do wonders.
Appearance - 6/10 - To be honest I find him a bit of a scary Santa, the chocolate has a good sheen to it and the appearance of the chocolate is good but the form it takes..not so much.
Price - 10/10 - At £1.80 this was an absolute bargain, but I wouldn't have bought it for £6.
Overall - 7/10 - Amazing for the price it was and quite nice chocolate, it did help satisfy a chocolate craving but I don't think I would buy it again, even for £1.80, I would probably go find something else.

1 comment: