Monday, 28 February 2011

Moo Free Chocolates - Dairy Free Chocolate Pralines

I've never tried that mcuh chocolate that is Dairy Free, obviously with me not being lactose intolerant or vegan it just never really crosses my mind to by chocolate that is specifically lactose free; however it's always nice to see what's out there and I was wondering how these Moo Free Chocolate Pralines would compare.
Moo Free Chocolates are definately catered towards children who can't eat "normal" chocolate, their stories involve characters such as Hammy the Hamster and Maisy Moo the cow and most of their packaging involves these cute characters; although I think these Hazelnut Chocolate Pralines go for the more elegant look, more as a box of chocolates.

They were presented beautifully in a blue sparkly box tied with a lovey ribbon and inside was 12 delicious looking chocolate pralines, on reading the ingredients easily located on the back of the box they seemed pretty reliable, all natural ingredients & 42% cocoa solids, they sounded as if they were going to be yummy!

Moo Free Dairy Free Chocolate Pralines

Moo Free Dairy Free Chocolate Pralines

On opening nevertheless the aroma of the chocolate was reminiscent of the cheap advent calendar chocolate you sometimes get around Christmas, a very commerical production smell, which made me slightly skeptical of what they were going to be like. On biting into the chocolate it's a bit of a surprise compared to what a normal praline is like; instead of being deep dense and creamy, as I normally like my pralines, this was more goopy and leaked and oozed..I would say it was more of like a liquid caramel texture infact!
They definately reminded me of something and on working my way through the chocolate it hit me, these are like a solid chocolate version of Kinder Bueno, there was a really strong hazelnut flavour within the praline but the texture just wasn't there for me and unfortunately the outer chocolate exterior I felt had a bit of a waxy feel to it.

Moo Free Dairy Free Chocolate Pralines

I would definately say that these are more commercial chocolates rather than those of gourmet chocolate pralines, but in this way they are definately catered towards their target market, they are perfect for children with lactose intolerance or who are vegans who want to enjoy a nice bit of chocolate now and then, especially those who are big fans of Kinder Buenos, but for me I haven't been converted....I think I'll stick to my normal pralines.

Moo Free Dairy Free Chocolate Pralines

Taste - 6/10 - It wasn't unpleasant but it wasn't mind blowing, I definately think the filling overperformed the quality of the chocolate with a lovely strong taste of hazelnuts.
Texture - 5/10 - Although the proportion of chocolate to filling was great I didn't enjoy the feel of the goopy filling or the waxiness that was present in the chocolate.
Appearance - 8/10 - Beautifully presented in their box and the chocolates look pretty shaped like daisies, although they do have a bit of an over the top shine to them.
Price - 7/10 - These are priced at £8.50 from Ethical Superstore, which isn't too bad I suppose.
Overall - 6.3/10 - These aren't the best chocolates I've had but I do think these are perfect for the commercial market and for the children out there and could definately be used as a substitute to your normal everyday chocolate fix.

To take a full look at Moo Free Chocolates and their story they have a website that you can visit here.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting! The packaging looks more adult and quite nice although like you said, the chocolate itself is more aimed at the kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pity... They looked pretty though.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. James like Kinder Buenos so he might like these...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT?!? Dairy free chocolate? I've never heard of it! I guess that's why they weren't mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The packaging for this one was more aimed to adults I think but their other products are definately more for the kids, really cute characters etc, I'll be reviewing them at a later date with cute characters such as Hammy the hamster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate pralines are so lovely. The packaging is very presentable and delightful. It’s a nice give away for your special someone.

    ReplyDelete