Thursday, 10 March 2011

Michel Cluizel Grand Lait 45% Bar

Ooh yay, another one of my purchases from The Chocolate Trading Co that I thought I would review on this dark windy night and oh how I hoped it would cheer me up from this awful weather we've been having, I'm longing for some warm days!!

Michel Cluizel 45% Grand Lait Milk Chocolate

Michel Cluizel is another gourmet chocolatier I had heard many a good thing about, a French chocolatier from Normandy, since 1948, he has been producing a range of amazing quality bars & ranges of delicious chocolates using the finest cocoa beans & ingredients for quite some time now. I decided to go for one of his milk bars, the "Grand Lait" name appealed to me straight away, it suggested a rich creamy bar and when I saw that it had won the Great Taste Gold Award in '08 I just had to have it! With 45% cocoa solids it is definately one of the higher cocoa percentage milk bars, I just hoped it wasn't going to be too bitter for my milk chocolate liking.

Michel Cluizel 45% Grand Lait Milk Chocolate

The appearance of this bar is beautiful, on opening it it immediately reminded me of the film "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" with its shiny gold wrapping making me think I'd won my golden ticket, there's the excitement of slowly unwrapping the bar to reveal a gorgeously shiny bar engraved with the Michel Cluizel name and cocoa beans on various squares, it definately is an exquisite looking bar and I actually think I prefer the appearance of this to the other gourmet chocolate bar I have reviewed so far, Amedei.

Michel Cluizel 45% Grand Lait Milk Chocolate

The experience of eating the chocolate was just as "Willy Wonka-ess", if you will, the chocolate is so rich and creamy & has such a sumptuous texture and provides such a taste experience, it begins with lovely light vanilla cocoa hints before leading way to slight honey/caramel/fudge notes, the sweetness slowly builds before I started to perceive the darker cocoa flavour, due to the higher cocoa content. This chocolate's flavour lasts so long and despite having a higher cocoa content it never turns bitter but just complements the overall flavour as one of these lovely squares of chocolates melts on your tongue and fills your mouth with it's warming deliciousness. This definately cheered me up from the cold weather, I can see why it won an award!

Michel Cluizel 45% Grand Lait Milk Chocolate


Taste - 9/10 - A lovely flavoured chocolate that was so creamy and deep but never too sweet.
Texture - 8.9/10 - This bar had a lovely texture, it was beautiful in the mouth and lasted for such a long time.
Appearance - 9.5/10 - This is one of the nicest looking chocolate bars I've seen in a while, it made me feel like a little child finding my golden ticket!
Price - 8/10 - At £3.95 for a 70g bar this isn't actually too bad, I wouldn't mind paying it considering how much I enjoyed it.
Overall - 8.7/10 - After trying this I am definately more interested to try some more of the Michel Cluizel range!

You can buy Michel Cluizel's bars at The Chocolate Trading Co & you can have a look about him & his history at his website here.




1 comment:

  1. with the writing at the top its like a puzzle ;o)

    ReplyDelete