Thursday, 17 March 2011

Maestrani Banana Split Chocolate Bar

Now I'm a bit of an odd one when it comes to banana flavoured things..I don't actually like bananas all that much but I seem to love banana flavoured things; banana flavoured yoghurt, banana flavoured milk, banana flavoured anything really..apart from actual bananas...unless they are in a Banana Split. So when I saw this Maestrani, a Swiss based chocolate company selling a range of Organic Fairtrade chocolate bars, Banana Split chocolate bar lurking in the depths of TK Maxx I couldn't resist.

On reading the packaging it described it as a white chocolate bar with bananas, almonds and chocolate chips; now normally I probably wouldn't have bought this with it being white chocolate but I hoped the addition of banana would maybe stop the sickliness of the white chocolate and that the added element of the almonds and chocolate chips would offer something a bit different.

Maestrani Banana Split Chocolate Bar

Now sometimes with banana flavoured things you can get a disgusting artificial flavour..yes I have had my fair share of disappointments in this category but thankfully this Maestrani bar doesn't taste artificial, in fact the banana flavour was quite good and the white chocolate not too sweet but to be honest it didn't really blow me away & I was majorly let down on the texture of the bar.

It is extremely gritty in fact and definately not one to let melt on your tongue..if it even really melts..which it doesn't, the consistency of the chocolate is quite waxy and then presence of the nibbed almonds stops it being a creamy or smooth chocolate whatsoever. It's definately more of a munching chocolate, not one to be savoured or enjoyed slowly really. Although the flavour was quite different and maybe something to try once I doubt I would buy this again for me a chocolate has to be sumptuous and at least melt slightly on my tongue! Oh banana flavoured things unfortunately this time you have failed me.

Maestrani Banana Split Chocolate Bar

Taste - 7/10 - Was something a bit different and didn't taste too artificial or sickly but nothing amazing.
Texture - 4.5/10 - Definately not one to let melt on your tongue, much more of a munching/biting chocolate.
Appearance - 6/10 - Although the outer packaging was nice the chocolate in itself had a waxy look and looked a bit dirty for a white chocolate to be honest.
Price - 7/10 - At £1.95 for this 70g bar its not particularly bad.
Overall - 6.7/10 - I got sick of this after about 2 cubes of it, it just wasn't particularly a pleasurable experience but if you want to try something a bit different then go for it.

I've never seen Maestrani anywhere else yet other than TK Maxx but if you want to view their website it's www.maestrani.ch/

1 comment: