Thursday, 3 March 2011

Prestat Milk Chocolate Bar

Prestat Chocolates, although being founded by a French man named Antoine Dufour, has been based in London, England since 1902, they pride themselves on making high quality chocolate bars and chocolate truffles in a range of ornately designed packaging, these are definately British chocolates through and through some are even made "By Her Appointment to her Majesty The Queen as Purveyors of Chocolates.". Oh my very posh indeed!

Since this is the first time I've tried any of Prestat's range I wanted to go straight back to basics with them, a simple bar of Milk chocolate, for me this is my favourite chocolate, if it's good it can do no wrong. White chocolate, yes sometimes a bit too sweet, dark chocolate, sometimes simple not moreish enough, but milk, no if a milk chocolate bar is good for me then I can devour the lot in one go, no question about it.

Prestat Milk Chocolate

So it is with this sentiment that I reviewed Prestat's Milk Chocolate Bar by, I was hoping it was going to be good, if it was good enough for the Queen certainly it would be tasty? On seeing the outer exterior of the bar there is no doubt that it is pretty, beautifully decorated in a range of pink, blue and gold colours it looks visually appealling and definately stands out from the rest when browsing for chocolate. On opening the bar there is a very milky smell that erupts from within and the chocolate, split into 8 large cubes, each engraved with Prestat's name, has a nice good snap to it on breaking.

Prestat Milk Chocolate

I was hoping for it to be so much more than it was, it's appearance built my hopes up for something amazing to happen in my mouth, but unfortunately my excitement was dampened as I placed it in. Yes the chocolate is nice, it has good creamy/milky notes, leading way to a nice caramely and fudge flavour but in terms of texture it ends slightly dryly. It's not the smoothest of chocolate and doesn't really fill your mouth with a thick sumptuous feeling that some chocolates provide, it gives a slightly gritty flavour on the tongue unfortunately. It isn't overly sweet but the flavour doesn't really stay for a while and you aren't really given any lovely warming after taste, I would probably describe it as a "pleasant" milk chocolate, it's not horrible, it's not amazing, probably a nice one to enjoy with a mug of hot chocolate; in fact it even reminded me of a slightly better quality version of another famous British chocolate - Dairy Milk. It has that same flavour to it, which unfortunately, although enjoyed by many is still very commercial.

Prestat Milk Chocolate

Taste - 7/10 - A pleasant milk chocolate, didn't have an amazing flavour I didn't think and lingered on the slightly commercial side.
Texture - 6/10 - Wasn't the creamiest of chocolates and left me with a slightly dry, gritty feeling in my mouth.
Appearance - 8/10 - I did like how it was packaged however and the bar definately made you feel like you were getting something special.
Price - 5/10 - At £3.50 a bar I would much rather buy a higher quality better tasting bar.
Overall - 7.3/10 - I probably wouldn't rate this as one of my favourite milk chocolates, it is nice, just not amazing.

To view the rest of Prestat's range you can visit their website www.prestat.co.uk


4 comments:

  1. My sister gave me some beautifully boxed Prestat chocolates and they were gorgeous! I wish they were easier to find here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When ever I see a royal seal I think to myself "wow this is going to be amazing" but it never is...

    I wonder what choccies Madge goes for? Probably the Arriba milk chocolate buttons as they will be easier for her to eat ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your website and I've already seen a bunch of things I had never heard of. A lot of them look really cool and delicious! I was wondering where you hear about/find all of these different kinds of chocolates?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm glad you like it! I've researched a lot about different chocolate brands, not the normal commercial ones you just see in the shops to try and find things that are a bit different. I buy some online and others I just happen to come across in local stockists etc. :)

    ReplyDelete