Friday, 22 April 2011

Davenport's Signature Collection

This review is actually of a local chocolatier, Davenport's Chocolates, based in Newcastle Upon Tyne, there's nothing more I love than finding a good chocolatier on my doorstep and although having heard about Davenport's for quite a while I had never got round to sampling any of their produce. Davenport's is owned by artisan chocolatier Jane Williams, trained under a second generation master chocolatier, Philippe Burger, produces a range of chocolates using beans from South American & Africa, creating a range of chocolates from simple classics to contemporary twists.

Davenport's Signature Collection

The Signature Collection was beautifully presented and consisted of 12 delicious looking chocolates: 2 Cinnamon Toffee Apples, 2 Jan-doo-yah, 2 Franzipan, 3 Raspberry & Rose and 3 Fudge Brique; in terms of the flavour offered in this box there is definately a good selection from simplistic fudge to daring cinnamon toffee apple I was definately intrigued to see what the flavours would be like.

Davenport's Signature Collection

Now normally I would head straight for the Jan-doo-yah, but this was not the case, and I decided to sample the Cinnamon Toffee Apple first; I hate it when you get chocolate toffees that almost break your teeth and you have to fight with them to even try and get them to decompose in your mouth but thankfully this is not the case in this chocolate whatsoever. 

Davenport's Signature Collection

It has a perefectly soft centre, that is more like a thick goo-ey chewy caramel that provides a wonderful satisfying chew without clagging up your mouth whilst releasing gorgeous wonderful fresh tastes of apple and warming woody cinnamon notes. The milk chocolate is creamy, smooth and delicious and unlike so many toffee chocolates out there this is completely different and not overly sweet whatsoever.

Davenport's Signature Collection

Naturally I headed onto the Jan-doo-yah next, a praline of roasted hazelnuts and caramelised sugar, it provided a good thick texture that was a lot more dense and solid compared to other pralines I have tried and definately was a satisfying chocolate although it was quite dry rather than creamy/milky.

Davenport's Signature Collection


It provided wonderful strong earthy hazelnut flavours and wasn't powerfully sweet but it did leave a slightly dry taste in the mouth on swallowing, I did enjoy it but I wouldn't say that it was the nicest praline I've had.

Davenport's Signature Collection


Next I moved onto the Franzipan; an almond marzipan with crisp amaretti biscuits, I thought I would try this one to sample the quality of it, as to be honest I knew that I probably wouldn't be a fan as I don't particularly like marzipan, both the flavour and the gritty texture of it.

Davenport's Signature Collection

On tasting this you can tell this is a good marzipan chocolate, the marzipan has a wonderful strong almond flavour without the burning of sugar that can so often be present, whilst the texture is moist with slight crunch added from the amaretti bisuits contrasting perfectly with the smooth dark chocolate shell. For me this wasn't a winner but for anyone who loves marzipan they will adore this chocolate!

Davenport's Signature Collection

The Raspberry & Rose, the other dark chocolate in the selection, was what I decided to try next, I loved the presentation of this one, topped with a gorgeous pink flower and enrobed in gorgeously smooth dark chocolate I was excited to tuck into this floral truffle. The texture is wonderful, almost like that of a smooth rich truffle like ganache and melted wonderfully in the mouth.

Davenport's Signature Collection

Once inside the mouth the wonderful tang of raspberries comes through first exciting the mouth before being followed by lovely mellow notes of rose, this definately wasn't too overpowering or floral for me, as I can sometimes find with rose chocolates & I found this extremely pleasant.

Davenport's Signature Collection

The last chocolate in the box was the Fudge Brique, I all too often find fudge chocolates far too sweet & sickly and unfortunately this was the case with this chocolate, it is a good fudge chocolate; rich, creamy & extremely buttery, like a classic English fudge, but neverthe less it wasn't my type of chocolate and found that my throat stung slightly from the sugar in it afterwards.

Davenport's Signature Collection

Overall I quite enjoyed Davenport's Signature Collection, they definately aren't your commercial rubbish and offer a good range of pleasant tasting chocolates, however the only chocolate I could say I thoroughly enjoyed in the box was the Cinnamon Toffee Apple, which was the real winner for me, the rest are, pleasant, but not mind blowing unfortunately. These are probably a nicer after dinner chocolate box to share out with the family but I don't think it would be one I would particulary hoard to myself.

Davenport's Signature Collection

Taste - 7/10 - A nice selection of chocolates, the flavours are all good but maybe would have liked to have seen a few more "different" chocolates rather than the Fudge Brique & the Franzipan.
Texture - 7.5/10 - The proportions of all the chocolates were excellent and the chocolate used to enrobe them was gorgeously smooth, the fillings were all generally good although I would have like the Jan-doo-yah to be slightly more creamy.
Appearance - 7.7/10 - These are pretty chocolates, you can tell on looking at them that the quality of the chocolate is excellent and offer quite a simplistic feel.
Price - 7.2/10 - These are priced at £8.95 for 12 chocolates which is fairly reasonable.
Overall - 7/10- I would definately visit Davenport's again after this and would be tempted to try some more of their range to see what they have to offer.

If you want to take a look at Davenport's Chocolates and see what the North East has to offer you can visit http://www.davenportschocolates.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Finding a top-notch local chocolatier is like a goldmine. These sound great, and I especially like the described toffee - I agree that tooth-breaking toffee is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL she didnt stick any "Northern" flavours in then? ;o)

    ReplyDelete