Sunday, 17 April 2011

Hotel Chocolat : Classic Egg & Soldiers

Ah egg & soldiers, or how I used to call them when I was younger, "egg & dippies", such a tasty, warm, comforting snack or breakfast that I always used to tuck into when I was a child, my mam would draw a smiley face on my egg and put him in his Humpty Egg Cup before chopping off his head and dunking my wonderful toast soldiers in; so this product from Hotel Chocolat had a slight touch of nostalgia for me.

However these Egg & Soldiers are certainly not of the savoury variety, with 5 mellow milk chocolate, hazelnut praline, half shells, decorated with a white chocolate fried egg, that are paired with 5 creamy white chocolate soliders that appear to have already been dunked in the yolk, these will satisfy your sweet tooth much more than your traditional egg and soliders would!

Hotel Chocolat Egg & Soldiers

Of course as you all know I am a huge fan of Hotel Chocolat's pralines so I thoroughly enjoyed tucking into the half egg shells, they provide a wonderful mellow milk chocolate flavour that melts wonderfully on the tongue whilst the hazelnut praline interior gives a nice nutty flavour, creamy, smooth & delicious! I loved the edition of the white chocolate fried egg on the top of these half shells, I thought it gave a nice touch on what could have looked like a traditional boring praline and injected a whole lot of fun and colour into this product!

Hotel Chocolat Egg & Soldiers

After sampling one of the eggs it obviously had to be time to start "dipping" into the solider selection! Now normally I don't really enjoy white chocolate, I find it too sweet & sickly and generally have had many a bad experience with how the back of my throat reacts to overwhelming sugar; however these white chocolate soliders were suprisingly good. They are more creamy as opposed to sweet with wonderful milky vanilla notes rather than those of burning sugar, I felt that I could have quite easily managed to eat all 5 of these soldiers one after the other without having too much of a sugar overload from the white chocolate, and this is saying a lot for how good the white chocolate must be!

Hotel Chocolat Egg & Soldiers

This is definately a more simple product to buy someone for Easter, classic tastes with a novel fun appearance and certainly one that would appeal to both adults & children alike; there are no obtrusive flavours here and unless you know someone that hates chocolate then I would suggest that these are a perfect chocolate Easter treat for anyone, especially if like me they are a big fan of their Egg & Soldiers!

Hotel Chocolat Egg & Soldiers

Taste - 7.7/10 - A lovely creamy hazelnut praline & a pleasant white chocolate that isn't too overly sweet.
Texture - 7.5/10 - The praline is wonderfully smooth and the chocolate doesn't feel dry or waxy whatsoever.
Appearance - 8.2/10 - As usual with novel products from Hotel Chocolat these are presented wonderfully, loved them!
Price - 7/10 - At £7 for 5 eggs and 5 soldiers it is priced reasonably but I think I would prefer something with a bit more diversity in it for my money.
Overall - 7.6/10 - A classic fun tasty product that would please any chocolate lover this Easter.

If you want your Egg & Soldiers for Easter Time make sure to visit www.hotelchocolat.co.uk they come in Classic & Dark variety.

1 comment:

  1. I have thought about buying these...

    ...I did buy (but havent eaten yet) some eggy breads from Hotel Chocolat I will do some piccies when I open them ;o)

    ReplyDelete