Sunday, 3 April 2011

L'Artisan Du Chocolat : Crème de la Crème Eggs

Another Easter offering for you all today, this time from L'Artisan Du Chocolat and their take on the classic Creme Egg! Now me, I'm not a huge fan of the classic Cadbury's Creme Egg to be honest, yes I used to like it when I was younger, the sickly sweet fondant inside and the goopy mess you were left with but now it's just far too sweet for me, it makes my teeth stand on edge just thinking about it so I was hoping that L'Artisan Du Chocolat's version would be different to this!

L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs

The box I got was a box consisting of 14 Crème de la Crème Eggs, 7 milk chocolate eggs and 7 dark chocolate eggs, all beautifully presented and wrapped in sellophane and placed in a gorgeous box. Instead of filled with a sickly fondant, much like Cadbury's Creme Eggs these eggs are filled with a white chocolate ganace for the white of the egg and a passionfruit yolk in the milk, & an apricot and mandarin yolk in the dark. They are about the average size of a Creme Egg now, I would have said they were a bit smaller but Creme Eggs seem to have shrunk so much nowadays that these are probably about the same size now.

L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs


I decided to start with the milk egg, of course, with milk chocolate being my favourite and to completely compare it to the Creme Egg. You can tell from the off start how superior it is going to be when you first bite off the thick chocolate of the top of the egg, the chocolate is so creamy & of high quality with a slight fruity note and this in itself is good, but once you get to the ganache centre the egg is just taken to a whole new level!


L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs


The ganache is wonderfully smooth, not gloopy or grainy & just melts beautifully on the tongue, the white of the egg is sumptuously rich but its the yolk that is the star of the show. The passionfruit ganache is like nothing I have ever tasted, I've tried passionfruit chocolates before & I'm normally not a fan but this is amazing, I would go as far as to say an orgasm in the mouth!! It's so fresh & fruity and is literally an explosion of flavour that complements the chocolate beautifully. I would go as far as to say that this is the most elegant delicious chocolate I have tried in a long time, it is both refreshing, rich & creamy all at the same time.

L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs


I moved onto the dark egg next, once again the chocolate covering this is of extremely high quality, it's not so dark as to take away the flavour of the centre but just complements the filling perfectly and although  the dark is tasty the flavour explosion just isn't on the same level as the milk chocolate egg. The yolk of this egg is more of a mellow apricot & mandarin flavour, not providing the same 'zing' as the passionfruit centre. I would say the dark chocolate egg is amazing in itself & if you were to try this on its own you would fall in love with it, but because the milk chocolate egg is so good I just felt that it made the dark seem less so, but that could just be me!

L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs

Overall I would recommend these to anyone, whether as an Easter Treat for all the family or for a very posh Easter Egg hunt, maybe Wills & Kate will be using these for their Easter Egg hunt, in their box form, or you can also buy them as a single egg as a treat just for yourself!

L'Artisan Du Chocolat: Crème de la Crème Eggs


Taste - 9.8/10
- I couldn't fault the milk chocolate egg, it was the nicest thing I have tasted in a long time, the dark was also extremely delicious but just not on the same level as the milk chocolate egg.
Texture - 9.6/10 - A wonderfully creamy texture, not gritty or grainy whatsoever with an elegant creamy chocolate covering.
Apperance - 9/10 - Presented in a wonderful box and love the simplicity of the sellophane wrappers on the eggs, much easier to get into than your silly foiled Creme Egg!
Price - 8.7/10 - At £20 for a box of 14 or £1.50 for a single egg it is more than you would pay for your average Creme Egg, but you pay for what you get and for the flavours in that milk chocolate egg there is no way I would think a second about paying £1.50 for one!
Overall - 9.7/10 - Absolutely beautiful, I challenge anyone to find someone who wouldn't enjoy one of these!

If you want to take a look at the rest of L'Artisan Du Chocolat's range you can visit their website at www.artisanduchocolat.com

4 comments:

  1. these look lovely - and LOL I still love the Cadburys Creme egg - the 8 year old inner me would never stop whinging if I didnt have a few (12 so far and I have bought another 12 to have between now and Easter) each year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic of the creamy insides is making me drool. I don't think I've ever had a Cadbury Creme egg (crazy I know!), but these seem like they'd be more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH..those are definitely so much better than Cafbury creme eggs! Excellent find! I need to order some for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would certainly trade away my cadburry's to try these. Great review.

    ReplyDelete