Saturday, 21 May 2011

Montezuma's Bean Machine Bar

It has to take the right combination for me to enjoy coffee in chocolate; whether it be bars or filled chocolate, too sweet and the coffee becomes sickly but too intense and it can all too quickly become a bitter experience. For me any chocolate containing coffee should be creamy yet deep with a slight sweet edge with good hints of coffee but nothing too overpowering, so when I saw this Montezuma's bar I was really intrigued as to whether the different approach they'd used to this bar would have my taste buds ecstatic.

Montezuma's Bean Machine Chocolate Bar

The Bean Machine, as its called, from Montezuma's is a blend of both dark & white chocolate with coffee swirled throughout; it sounded like the perfect combination, the dark chocolate providing the deeper cocoa notes whilst the white chocolate would hopefully provide a nice added sweetness without becoming too sickly.

On opening the bar, to be honest I couldn't really see any major presence of white chocolate apart from a few slightly lighter sections in the dark chocolate so I hoped the flavour wouldn't be too bitter in terms of it being paired with the coffee. Thankfully it really wasn't; the deeper dark chocolate flavour came through first before being presented with the sweeter white chocolate taste on the palate that all mellowed out perfectly with light coffee notes. So often coffee can become so overpowering in a chocolate bar that it completely takes away the flavour from the chocolate; this wasn't the case whatsoever here and although the coffee flavour was present it was just there to complement the chocolate.

Montezuma's Bean Machine Chocolate Bar

The texture of the bar was quite different to anything else I've experience recently and although it wasn't perfect, there were a few air bubbles throughout, it didn't have as much resistance as a dark chocolate bar but it certainly wasn't as soft as it's counter part, white chocolate, providing a soft texture somewhere in the middle and although taking quite a while to melt in the mouth once it got going it was lovely. There are little coffee pieces throughout the bar that could have made the bar slightly gritty but thankfully they weren't big enough to provide any real texture problems.

Montezuma's Bean Machine Chocolate Bar

This provided a really nice coffee experience for me; although I am partial to a cup now and then I wouldn't say I am a coffee addict so anything too powerful and I just can't face it and the flavour combination that this bar offered just ticked all the boxes for me.

Taste - 7.4/10 - Really liked the contrast that this bar offered, haven't really seen anything similar to it before.
Texture - 7/10 - Something a bit different and was glad that the coffee pieces throughout the bar weren't too off putting in terms of the harder texture they offered.
Apperance - 6.3/10 - Would have liked to have seen more of a presence of the white chocolate throughout the bar, rather than the dark chocolate just looking like it had gone a bit wrong in places.
Price - 7.4/10 - This bar was priced at £2.39 and considering how much I enjoyed it I think this is really good value.
Overall - 7/10 - Enjoyed this more than I have any other coffee chocolates in a while, yum!

To have a look at the rest of Montezuma's range you can visit their website at www.montezumas.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I've been remiss in eating some quality chocolate lately. I like the bar design.

    ReplyDelete