Monday, 23 May 2011

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

TK Maxx, having only provided me with one different chocolate product, the Dolfin I found there, had relatively been running low on anything that really interested me recently, so when I saw these box of 20 Assorted Pralines, by a company called Senz that are part of the Belgian the Eden Chocolate Company, located near Bruges, I just had to try them. A box of 20 Assorted Pralines sounded pretty much perfect for me, and although not having heard of Senz, I was willing to try them and at a price of £3.99 they seemed an extremely good bargain, as long as they weren't the typical tasteless cheap chocolates that are sometimes marketed as "Belgian" I would be happy!

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

The box itself was wonderfully wrapped and on opening them I was greeted with a menu to tempt my tastebuds; although sold as a box of Pralines not every chocolate in the box could really be classified as this at all, with a mixture of buttercreams, ganaches, caramels and pralines. Now normally this would have caused me to become slightly upset due to praline withdrawl however the different chocolates offered actually sounded really interesting and I was hoping that the elaborate flavour combinations would be able to be backed up with taste.

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

Obviously with 20 different chocolates in the box : Strawberry Buttercream, Raspberry Caramel, Caramel Praline, Pineapple Coconut Buttercream, Cocoa Nibs Ganache, Almond Praline, Cinnamon Cookie Praline, Caffe Latte, Coconut Ganache, Mokka Buttercream, Sea Salt Caramel, Praline Feullitine, Milk Tea Ganache, Natural Caramel, Praline Crispy Rice, Marzipan, Creamy Caramel, Walnut Caramel, Coffee Cream & Cranberry Ganache, it would be hard to review them all and would cause a ridiculously long review so I'll highlight a few that really jumped out to me both on the menu & in terms of their actual flavour.

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

The first chocolate that really jumped out at me was the Cinnamon Cookie Praline, although being coated in white chocolate, it contained a cinnamon praline cookie filling..this sounded like the perfect chocolate! Despite being coated in white chocolate the flavour wasn't overly sweet and contrasted perfectly with the nutty cinnamon praline centre. The cinnamon was definately presently but not overpoweringly so with a good nutty flavour whilst the textures complemented each other excellently with the smooth praline and crunchy cookie pieces.

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

The Pineapple Coconut Buttercream had to be the next one I had to try, this is the first time I have ever seen pineapple present in a box of chocolates & paired with coconut and coated in white chocolate it sounded as if it would be the ultimate fruity chocolate experience. Although the texture was very good the flavours weren't particularly strong, they were present but the coconut was masked slightly but the sweeter pineapple flavour and although enjoying this I would have preferred a stronger fruity flavour. Nevertheless this chocolate was extremely fresh tasting and would have offered a nice tasty palate cleansing chocolate between more intense chocolates in the box.

Don't worry, this box did actually contain some pralines and the next chocolate I decided to pop into my mouth was the Caramel Praline Feullitine, I usually adore praline feullitines, I like the change in contrast between the smooth praline and the crunchy feullitine flavours, and the addition of a soft caramel in this chocolate sounded extremely appealling. Despite this on tasting it; I found that it wasn't the best I've had by any means, it was average at best I would say, it was quite sweet and although having slight nutty flavours it offered a strange bitter aftertaste. It was edible, I just wouldn't rush to it again.

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

I hoped the Praline Feullitine would be more pleasant, which it definately was and brought me back to my usual praline enjoyment; the praline was slightly dry but nothing too major with a wonderful strong nutty flavour. The feullitine flavours were scattered throughout the centre of the chocolate and offered a wonderful tasty crunch!

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

The final chocolate that I just had to review was the Strawberry Buttercream, not only did it look gorgeous but I just adore strawberries in chocolates and was hoping it would be a bit like Hotel Chocolat's Eton Mess in terms of the thick sumptuous texture. I was slightly disappointed when I bit into it as I found not only buttercream but a strawberry jam like substance as well and although it was deliciously fruity and not artificial tasting whatsoever it was just a bit too jammy for me, oh how I wish they'd left it out.

Senz 20 Assorted Pralines Box

Although having a cheap price of £3.99 this certainly wasn't shown in the textures and flavours that these chocolates provided, not only was there an excellent selection of classic chocolates there were also a few different creations lurking in there that aren't often seen. The highlight for me was ultimately the texture of the creamy caramel chocolate that just blew me away, being in between a creamy fudge and soft caramel, I could have easily eaten my way through about 20 of these alone! Of course there were a few hit & missses but thats the case with every box of chocolates you get and for the enjoyment I got out of these I can't quite believe their price, considering you'd pay the same for a box of sweet sickly Milk Tray!

Taste - 7.9/10 - A nice mixture of chocolates throughout the box that were all relatively good on their taste, not overly sweet with nice subtle flavours.
Texture - 7.4/10 - The textures overall were relatively good, the creamy caramel and raspberry caramel's textures were absolutely divine, I have never experienced anything like it.
Appearance - 8.9/10 - They were presented beautifully and each chocolate looked extremely pretty with good proportion between filling & exterior.
Price - 9.7/10 - This is one of the best chocolate purchases I have made for a while, I can't get over how cheap they were.
Overall -



2 comments:

  1. James raids our T K Maxx for bottles of Hersheys chocolate syrup ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot, those photos are lovely. That made me starves and craved for pralines. Above all I like the heart shape.

    ReplyDelete