Saturday, 28 May 2011

Taza Salted Almond Mexicano Chocolate Disc

I really love doing chocolate swaps with people abroad, the chance to experience chocolates that otherwise would be difficult for me to get my hands on is great fun, and recently a fellow chocolate reviewer and blogger called Victoria from www.thedistrictchocoholic.blogspot.com and I exchanged some chocolates for each other to sample and review, this Taza Salted Almond Mexicano Chocolate Disc was one of the products I got sent.

Taza Salted Almond Mexicano Chocolate Disc

Taza Chocolate is a chocolate company that was born out of a desire to combine the Mesoamerican tradition of chocolate with a modern, high-quality product. They create their chocolate using the simple traditional Mexican method of stone grinding and milling the chocolate under a granite millstone leaving unrefined cacao & sugar throughout the chocolate producing a completely unique texture. They do not conch their chocolate and have brought a diverse Mexican Style Chocolate in the US.

Within the package you are presented with 2 large substantial salted almond discs that can either be eaten purely as they are, or, used to make hot chocolate. I decided to opt for the first option as although I am a chocoholic I'm not a huge fan of hot chocolate as a drink and would much prefer to munch my way through 2 large discs of the  yummy stuff!

Taza Salted Almond Mexicano Chocolate Disc

On taking them out of their packaging they certainly look substantial and I liked how you could eat the little triangles of chocolate almost as if they were little slices of cake. As you can see from the photograph the texture of this chocolate is definately unique to anything I've tried before, at first I wasn't sure whether I liked it; it's much softer than your traditional chocolate and a lot more gritty due to the unrefined cacao & sugar particles & the ground salted almonds in this specific disc. However on accepting it for what it was I actually really began to start to enjoy it, the grittiness isn't unpleasant and provides a wonderful texture experience, ok, so the melt doesn't enrobe your mouth in the way a creamy buttery smooth chocolate does but it does provide a delightfully pleasant smooth experience on the tongue that is both extremely soft & moreish!

Tasting the chocolate turned out to be just as moreish an experience as the texture, it is fruity & sweet at first as the cacao and sugar particles begin to break down in your mouth but as the chocolate begins to get going you are hit with the delicious salted almond flavour. The salt isn't overpowering thankfully but just provides a nice tang at the end of the sweetness and just had me coming back for more and more!

Taza Salted Almond Mexicano Chocolate Disc

I would be interested to see what these are like when they are made into a hot chocolate but for me these were just too good to be made into a drink and I loved the different experience they offered, they were definately not like anything I've tried in the UK before and would recommend them to anyone looking for a unique chocolate adventure!

Taste - 8.1/10 - Not overly sweet or overly salty, fruity, deep with gorgeous salted almond notes. Unbelievably moreish!
Texture - 7/10 - Obviously it's not your creamy buttery chocolate but the texture is unique and extremely soft and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.
Appearance - 7/10 - The chocolate disks look quite rustic, but I loved how they were presented in terms of the chunks of chocolate being triangles.
Price - 7.8/10 - These are priced at $4.50 and quite frankly I would happily pay that.
Overall - 7.5/10 - A nice Mexican Chocolate experience mm!

To take a look at Taza's range of chocolates you can visit their website at www.tazachocolate.com

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it. The balance (texture and flavor) in this treat is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try some of this - the Taza I has was quite different and not as plesant-sounding as this!

    ReplyDelete