Saturday, 7 May 2011

Vosges Mo' Bacon Bar

This Vosges bar was another offering I received when doing my chocolate swap with www.nycstylelittlecannoli.com. Vosges, owned by a lady called Katrina Markoff, are a chocolate company based in a few states of America and offer a range of unique offerings creating a luxury experience with a range of sensory experiences through the use of various different spices, herbs, nuts, flowers etc. I had heard so much about the famous bacon & chocolate combination from Vosges, in fact I had heard so much about the bacon and chocolate combination in general and to be honest the sound of it didn't really appeal to me. Firstly I really dislike bacon, I've never enjoyed it, whilst others may crave for a bacon sandwich the idea of it just repulses me, so when paired with a wonderful milk chocolate I was pretty sure it was going to ruin the whole experience for me, how wrong I was.

Vosges Mo' Bacon Bar


The bar itself is described as a deep milk chocolate bar, 41% cacao complete with applewood smoked bacon + Alder wood smoked salt and on reading the back of the packaging I was alerted that it also contained juniper berries, interesting.  It was wonderfully presented in a shiny silver foil wrapping and inside you find lurking 8 substantial looking squares of a deep milk chocolate. As soon as I opened the package however I was hit with immediate smells of bacon, reminiscent of smoky bacon crisps, ugh dear, this wasn't going well, I find smoky bacon crisps repulsive, yet I continued slightly perturbed.

On snapping into the chocolate you can see the crispy pieces of bacon and dried juniper berries throughout the bar, thankfully however the dried pieces of bacon aren't too big and are well dispersed throughout the bar so you don't have to worry about taking a bite and receiving a huge chunk of bacon.

Vosges Mo' Bacon Bar

As I put the chocolate into my mouth I have to be honest I was slightly worried what I was going to think of it, the initial strong taste of salt comes through initially, building as the chocolate melts, but then the wonderful sweet creaminess of the milk chocolate comes through, contrasting perfectly with the delightful salty bacon flavour. The melt is creamy and long and provides a wonderful flavour adventure of salty and sweet with the juniper berries adding that little extra element within the bar. I can't believe I am saying this but it was actually really enjoyable. The bar doesn't taste too strongly of bacon but just provides an extremely salty chocolate experience that complements each other perfectly. My only criticism would be that when the chocolate has finished melting you are left with little crunchy pieces of bacon and juniper berries in  your mouth; however some people may quite like this, to enjoy a little something once the chocolate is gone.

This bar is so wrong, yet so right at the same time, when you hear bacon & chocolate you think it's going to be disgusting, how I was so wrong, the salty sweet creaminess of this bar provided a completely unexpected unique experience and I easily managed to finish the whole bar being left with a delightful salty taste in my mouth rather than the usual sweet creaminess left from a milk chocolate bar.

Vosges Mo' Bacon Bar

Taste - 8.7/10 - Completely unique to anything I've tried before, thought the flavours complemented each other perfectly and worked really well together, surprisingly.
Texture - 8.2/10 - Good smooth creamy deep milk chocolate with satisfying melt, however didn't particularly like being left with crunchy bits of bacon in my mouth.
Apperance - 8.4/10 - Exquisite looking bar, looks something a bit special and liked how substantial the chocolate squares were.
Price - 7.8/10 - This bar sells for $7.50 in the US which is quite expensive but it's around what you would pay for a decent chocolate bar like this, especially one with such unique flavours.
Overall - 8.3/10 - Would definately be interested to try more of Vosges unique flavours after sampling this bar, teaches me not to judge the chocolate before I taste it! A surprising experience!

Vosges website can be found at www.vosgeschocolate.com

4 comments:

  1. glad you liked it...their stuff is amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was amazing!! I really didnt think bacon and chocolate would work but was so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually one of my least favorite Vosges bars. I think I may have gotten a bad bar, the bacon bits were a bit tough and chewy, not crispy at all. Maybe I should try another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some of this...

    ...I really should try it ;o)

    ReplyDelete