Friday, 3 June 2011

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

Now I don't often review Cadbury's stuff on here as all the classic bars have been out so long that I feel that everyone already sort of knows what they are all about, but when greeted with new offerings I can't help but dip my toe into the world of Cadbury's to see whats going on. Especially in the case of these new Bliss Bar offerings. When Cadbury's initially launched their first Bliss Bar with a Vanilla Creme centre I have to admit I was quite taken, it did provide a nice little sugar kick whilst being creamy and something a bit different, so I was hoping that the new flavours of Toffee Truffle, Hazelnut Truffle & Chocolate Truffle in larger 110g bars would be just as pleasant.

The packaging of all the bars I really liked, the purple patterned exterior with the gold foil wrapping inside really helped to resonate the posher luxurious image Cadbury's was trying to go for with these bars.

The first bar I decided to try was the Toffee Truffle as not only did I think that this sounded the most appealing but I also thought it was the furthest away from what Cadbury's normally do; they've done hazelnut truffles in their Milk Tray and Chocolate Truffle seems to be quite a standard, so I really wanted to see what the Toffee Truffle had to offer.

Dairy Milk Toffee Truffle Bliss - 4/10

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

On opening the bar I really liked how large the chunks of chocolate were; they looked like they would pack a really good substantial bite and on cutting it in half the truffle centre looked pretty smooth and well proportioned, I was hoping for good things. However on placing it in my mouth I really was disappointed, I do have a sweet tooth but I just couldn't bear this unfortunately it was far too sweet for my liking. The toffee flavour was extremely sickly and reminded me of a very sweet cinder toffee that you used to get at fairgrounds and unfortunately the chocolate just added to this sweetness creating a rather unpleasant experience in my mouth. If you've got a really big sweet tooth then you'll most likely love this, but it just didn't please me.

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars


Dairy Milk Hazelnut Truffle Bliss - 5.9/10

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

Ah hazelnut truffle, this really should have been a safe bet for me, you all know my love of nut chocolates so I was really hoping for good things from this bar! Although it was better than the Toffee Truffle in terms of the flavour it offered I was a bit let down in terms of the texture of this bar; the flavour was a lot less sweet and certainly had a slight nuttiness to it that complemented the sweeter chocolate nicely, however to say it was in the same league as other nut chocolates I have tried would be a far cry, it was distinctly average in terms of the flavour it offered. The texture of this bar also seemed to be a lot drier, I'm not sure whether this was due to the presence of the hazelnut paste within the bar but it had a very drying sensation on the tongue and was much better off dunked in a warm mug of tea.

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

Dairy Milk Chocolate Truffle Bliss - 6.7/10

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

Surprisingly the chocolate I thought I was going to enjoy least turned out to be the most favourable! I thought the Chocolate Truffle would be bland, run of the mill, but it was actually a lot better than the other 2 bars in my opinion. It was your standard creamy, milky Cadbury's chocolate with a good sweet truffle centre, it wasn't pretending to be something it wasn't, as I feel may have been the case with the other 2 bars and was much more suited to what Cadbury's is good at. Now it's obviously not your fine chocolate that you are going to sit and enjoy all the complex flavours in it, but it is good for a good old sugar rush and I really enjoyed dipping it into a warm mug of tea and letting the chocolate truffle centre melt ever so slightly. Yum!

Dairy Milk Bliss Bars

In terms of what I feel these bars offer I probably wouldn't ever go out to buy any of them again other than maybe the Chocolate Truffle if I fancied some good old classic sugary chocolate, Cadbury's lovers alike will no doubt love the classic feel of the Chocolate Truffle, but in terms of the other 2 flavours I'm not so sure, I felt the Toffee was sligthly too sweet and the Hazelnut didn't feel luxurious enough to pass as a "praline-esque" chocolate.

Taste - 5/10 - I wouldn't say I loved any of them, but it's nice to see Cadbury's adding a few new products to their range.
Texture - 6/10 - The texture was pretty standard and found it to be a bit dry and times but this can easily be improved upon my dipping it into a nice warm drink.
Appearance - 7.1/10 - I actually really liked the look and feel of these bars and thought they were packaged well.
Price - 6.9/10 - I got my bars for £1 each on special offer but I think they're going to RRP at £1.65, which I think seems quite a fair price for something a bit more "special" I suppose.
Overall - 6.3/10 - Good to see Cadbury's expanding their product range, just feel that quite a few things could have been improved on, but good for a nice sugar hit.



No comments:

Post a Comment