Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

It seems in America they are all for pairing sweet creamy chocolate with a nice savoury counterpart and making it into bar form, something so rarely seen within the UK so I was really looking forward to trying this Éclat bar sent to me from Victoria at The District Chocoholic.

Doing my research I found out that Éclat is a Pennsylvania based chocolate company owned and created by a man called Christopher Curtin, who produces a large range of not only varying cacao % bars but also a selection of mendiants & truffles, who works in chocolate houses all over the world ranging from Japan to Belgium!

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

The first thing that I really have to point out with this bar is how much I love the overall design of it, it's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into it. The exterior packaging is simplistic with a good splash of colour with good details of the ingredients, nutrition etc on the back. However the inner foil packaging and the style of the bar were what really appealled to me; the foil packaging consists of a world map, showing the various places that are linked to Éclat chocolate, whilst the bar itself was made up of good substantial squares of chocolate with a gorgeous ornate cocoa pod design, I really felt it was offering something a bit different with its visual approach.

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

On breaking the bar into squares you can see that the dispersion of the pretzels in the bar is relatively good, there isn't so many that it's going to take anything away from the chocolate or ruin the texture too much  but instead offer a nice savoury edge. I would describe the chocolate itself as very creamy & quite sweet, which you can expect with it being 33%, so I felt that the pretzels worked excellently with it, as without, I feel that the bar may have become slightly too sickly.

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

Although the pretzels aren't too obtrusive in the bar, I still wouldn't say that this is a chocolate that you would completely let melt in the mouth if you don't want to be left with lots of little pretzel pieces on your tongue! Instead I enjoyed letting it melt slightly before crunching it down, providing a wonderfully creamy savoury sweet experience. Yum!

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

Despite enjoying this bar I would definately have to say that it was a lot more sweet than savoury/deep and although I probably wouldn't buy it again it certainly was a good milk chocolate and I really loved trying it, I just prefer my milk chocolates slightly less sweet.

Éclat Milk Chocolate 33% Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar

Taste - 6.7/10 - A creamy sweet milk chocolate nicely contrasting with crunchy savoury pretzels, just dipped its toe slightly too much on the sweet side for me.
Texture - 7.3/10 - The chocolate was creamy and smooth with a good melt and the pretzel pieces weren't overly obtrusive.
Apperance - 9.4/10 - I loved the apperance of this bar from the outer packaging to the design of the bar, even the dispersion of the pretzels inside was excellent.
Price - 6.8/10 - This bar is priced at $7.50, I might buy it for someone who I knew liked sweet milk chocolate but wouldn't buy it for myself most likely.
Overall - 7.5/10 - Definately for those with a sweeter tooth but a nice one to try!


If you want to have a look at Éclat's range you can view them on their website at www.eclatchocolate.com

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it overall. The chocolate itself is definitely sweet and not very complex in terms of flavor, but I like how that lets the pretzels come through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how well sweet and salty go together. Looks like it needs a little more pretzels to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think chocolate needs more pretzel and it is a shame this is too sweet as it sounds sooooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete