Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Rogue Chocolatier Rio Caribe 70%

This is the first time I've tried anything from Rogue Chocolatier, a bean to bar company, that are based in Minneapolis, and pride themselves on sourcing the finest cacao before making it into various of their single origin  bars. I had the pleasure of receiving their Rio Caribe bar, which used Trinitario caco from the single estate Peria Peninsula in Far Eastern Venezuela, oh yum!


On looking at the information on the back of the bar it was said to offer flavours of nuts, blood orange whilst the front of the bar was ornately decorated in purple colour with a hand drawn cocoa pod design. I really like how they've set their packaging out, its simple & elegant yet still informative.

Rogue Chocolatier Rio el Caribe 70%

The bar itself almost looked like perfection in terms of the way it had been poured into its mould; although being very simplistic and not sectioned into chunks at all the overall shine and smoothness of the bar was out of this world. I could literally see my reflection in it, it was that good, it had obviously been conched and tempered very well and provided a nice chocolately difference to a mirror!

Rogue Chocolatier Rio el Caribe 70%

The aromas the bar presents are quite light and fruity but the flavour offered is completely different and much more aggressive. I started off by getting very dark harsh bitter tastes of coffee & tobacco notes before leading way to a slight nutty flavour that was complemented with a nice sweetness and tang, that verged on slightly sour and alcoholic at times, which I presume was the blood orange flavour coming through. I would have to describe this as a very aggresive dark chocolate, it certainly makes its flavour statement! However I loved it and thoroughly enjoyed my way through it!

Rogue Chocolatier Rio el Caribe 70%

The melt was good and smooth, but quite thin and weak in terms of its consistency in the mouth whilst leaving a dry almost ashy flavour in your mouth, this certainly isn't a creamy dark chocolate. Nevertheless despite this I really have to recommened this bar, especially for those of you that love a harsher dark chocolate that really makes itself heard. It was flavourful, deep, fruity, nutty and is obviously made extremely well, if you're a dark chocolate connoisseur I'd invest some of your money in trying this one!

Taste - 7.8/10 - Lovely flavour profile offered, although aggresive everythnig works and complements each other.
Texture - 7.9/10 - The texture of the bar is amazing, it had a good crisp clean snap and was amazingly smooth the only flaw I can see is the slight ashiness on the melt.
Appearance - 8/10 - Simple but looks so elegant, plus  you can snap off however much you want without feeling too bad at how many chunks you've consumed!
Price - 6.7/10 - I think this bar is priced at around $10 which obviously is quite expensive but if you're looking to spend a bit more on a really good bar of chocolate then its worth it.
Overall - 7.6/10 - So glad I got sent this bar! Shame there's only a little bit left!

You can have a look at Rogue Chocolatier's range and information about them on their website at http://www.roguechocolatier.com/


3 comments:

  1. I clearly need to try this bar, though I usually like a creamy/buttery melt even with dark chocolate. Haven't even tried any Rouge, a shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rogue is one of my favorites. All 3 current bars are great, with Hispaniola being my favorite. He also did a very small run bar from Peru that was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this bar though I don't think I got leather or tobacco flavours when I tried it. It was a well-travelled bar by that point though and it was tasting while 35,000 in the air!

    Still - awesome bar and well worth the price

    ReplyDelete