Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Baruzzo Summer Chocolate Selection

It's certainly nice to see a different take on summer chocolates; it seems that loads of companies opt for the classic Eton Messes, Raspberry Mousses, Strawberry Cremes & Blackberry/Blueberry flavours, not that I have anything wrong with these, I just think that sometimes it's nice to try a bit different with a bit of extra added zing. So I present to you Baruzzo's Summer Collection of chocolates.
For those of you that don't know Baruzzo is an Italian based chocolate company, founded by a lady called Raffaella Baruzzo, who wanted to bring her range of Italian chocolates to the UK. The box that I was sent from the lovely people at Baruzzo had 4 of their new range that has just been launched to bring you the refreshing flavours of summer and included : a fresh basil ganache, Mint & Lemon, Strawberry & Balsamic and Pink Peppercorn.

Baruzzo Summer Collection

The first thing that I have to point out is how much I love the way that Baruzzo decorate their chocolates, each chocolate has a unique printed design a top and almost look like they could fit to together to form a colourful jigsaw puzzle and they certainly look vibrant and inviting when opening them up out of their box!

Baruzzo Summer Collection

Mint & Lemon Ganache - 8.3/10

Baruzzo Summer Collection Baruzzo Summer Collection

The Mint & Lemon was the chocolate that stood out to me most in terms of decoration and description, so I decided to start on this one. I have to say it was absolutely delicious, it was described as "an Italian Mojito" so I was slightly wary, as I've had many a bad experience with Mojitos, but I loved this. The lemon and mint provided such a refreshing and tangy experience; the lemon was so fruity, fresh and sharp whilst the mint, from Veneto in Northern Italy that was infused in it is more sweet than sharp, with a herbal sort of flavour to it, meaning they contrasted beautifully.

Fresh Basil Ganache - 7.2/10

Baruzzo Summer Collection Baruzzo Summer Collection

This is the first time I've experienced basil in a chocolate before, I love it in my Italian pasta sauces but would it have the same deliciousness in a chocolate? Yes it was actually quite pleasant, I wouldn't say I loved it, but I did certainly enjoy it. Basil leaves incorporated into a white chocolate ganache created a very light tasting chocolate, it was relatively fragrant with good sweet basil notes and provided a different pleasant chocolate experience, I probably couldn't eat a lot of them as I think the flavour might get a bit too much but one now and then I most certainly would enjoy.

Strawberry & Balsamic Ganache - 7.5/10

Baruzzo Summer Collection     Baruzzo Summer Collection

I seem to have a thing for vinegars in chocolate, I really enjoy the flavour, and after trying William Curley's Japanese Vinegar chocolate at a talk he was doing I was excited to see & taste Baruzzo's Strawberry & Balsamic Vinegar chocolate. It was lovely! Not only is it decorated beautifully with a strawberry print the flavour is delightful, the balsamic vinegar provided a nice sweet acidic tang whilst the strawberry made a nice mellow appearance in the background. I probably would have liked a bit more strawberry in the chocolate but hey, that's probably me just being fussy!

Pink Peppercorn - 6/10

Baruzzo Summer Collection     Baruzzo Summer Collection

Unfortunately, this was the only chocolate I didn't really enjoy. It's nothing to do with  how it is made, as it certainly lived up to its description; it provided good gentle notes of light spicy peppercorn that contrasted in a smooth sumptuous ganache, but it just didn't do it for me. I found it a bit too fragrant and the peppercorn a bit too overpowering for my tastes. I think I prefer chilli in my dark chocolate as opposed to more fruitier spices.

I enjoyed the different experience offered by Baruzzo's summer collection; it gave a refreshing approach to summer chocolates and I love their unique take on their presentation, it really makes them stand out from a wide range of other chocolates. However I would definately say that these are chocolates more suited to the connoisseur as opposed to someone just fancying a nice fruity box of chocolates, as some of the flavours may be a bit too much for some people.

Taste - 7.3/10 - All flavours are made well and all provide the experience they should, much more suited to those with an adventurous palate though.
Texture - 8.4/10 - The textures were beautiful in all the chocolates, smooth, sumptuous and melt in the mouth.
Appearance - 9.1/10 - Love how Baruzzo present their chocolates, eye catching!
Price - NA/10 - I'm not too sure what these chocolates are priced at but I know Baruzzo's usual chocolates are fairly competitively priced.
Overall - 8.3/10 - A nice different change for summer chocolates.

To have a look at Baruzzo's range you can visit their website at http://www.baruzzo.co.uk/

3 comments:

  1. Seems that it is hard to pull of pepper in chocolate if salt is not alongside it. Even then, it can be too intense it not handled propery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing people put basil in the desserts, and just can't imagine it would be any good. Strawberry + balsamic sounds amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always weary of herbs with chocolate, just doesn't work for me most of the time. These are nicely decorated though

    ReplyDelete