Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Charbonnel et Walker Dusted Strawberry Truffles

A good substantial chocolate, that's what I like to see, something that really leaves you feeling like you've had enough to satisfy your chocolate craving and by the looks of these Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles they certainly look as if they would be big enough to satisfy anyones sweet tooth.

Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles

There's so many different truffle flavours that Charbonnel et Walker offer; having already tried their Banoffee Truffles and not being particularly blown away I thought it was about time I tried some more and landed upon these pretty pink dusted strawberry truffles. Firstly I must say I love how they package their truffles; stored in a little hat like box lurking inside are 8 delicious looking truffles in a popping pink colour, dusted with white powder, definately chocolates to buy for your girlfriends rather than a macho bloke of chocolates!

Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles

The truffles themselves gave off quite a sweet aroma, with light strawberry white chocolates notes and reminded me slightly of an extremely large strawberry bon bon... having had some bad experience with bon bons I was hoping this truffle wasn't going to break my teeth!

Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles

Cutting the chocolate in half you can see that the pink white chocolate exterior and the strawberry truffle centre are in pretty good proportion but I felt that the exterior was maybe slightly too thick and could have been better as maybe a slight enrobing rather than a triple dip. The truffle centre was relatively smooth but nothing amazing with it being slightly dry; it didn't scream "MELT ME IN YOUR MOUTH" but had to be broken down slightly with chewing.

Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles

The first tasting I tried I really enjoyed the chocolate; I was surprised that the strawberry flavour wasn't too overpowering/artificial tasting and that the white chocolate exterior thankfully wasn't too sweet but instead overall offered light fresh fruity flavrous. However as I finished my truffle and began to reach in for another one to try the flavours started to build up slightly and by my second chocolate I found these awfully sweet and just too much, I couldn't really handle having more than one of these in one sitting..maybe a good thing for my waistline..maybe a bad thing for my taste buds?

I mean these were good strawberry truffles..just not superb..if I was looking for a strawberry chocolate though I still would probably always have to go back to Hotel Chocolat's Eton Mess, nothings really beaten that for me yet. These truffles probably would be better to be bought to be shared out at a dinner party; so as to limit yourself to having one without the flavour getting too much; either that or keep them in the cupboard for a very long time..only allowing yourself to have one on special occasions..or when your sweet tooth thinks it can handle it!

Charbonnel et Walker Strawberry Truffles

Taste - 7.2/10 - Above average; really enjoyed the first one with light fresh fruity flavours but after that they became a bit sickly.
Texture - 6.5/10 - The texture was slightly dry and not amazingly melt in the mouth and felt the exterior was maybe a tad too thick.
Appearance - 8.6/10 - They are packaged really beautifully and certainly look a lovely gift for a lady friend!
Price - 6.7/10 - Priced at £9.50 these are quite expensive chocolates and probably would only really be bought on special occasions or for someone who really likes strawberry chocolates!
Overall - 7.3/10 - Unlike Pringles with these chocolates once you pop you really have to stop or else the sugar gets all too much.

To view Charbonnel et Walker's entire range you can visit their website at http://www.charbonnel.co.uk/

3 comments:

  1. these look delicious!
    GM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interior looks way too hard to me, I'd sooner go with a lindor truffle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you show some ingredients for some of these? I'm curious if we are looking at real white chocolate (cocoa butter, vanilla, sugar,...) or something made from "white morsels" (vegetable shortening/hydrogenated oil, vanillin, etc.).

    ReplyDelete