Monday, 29 August 2011

Gareth James Caramel Chocolate + Dried Banana

As you may have remembered a while ago I reviewed some chocolates from local chocolatier Gareth James that were absolutely delicious so I thought it was about time to review some of his chocolate bar range that he produces; I decided upon the Caramel Chocolate with dried banana pieces in my search to find a good chocolate with a banana element!!

The bar itself is presented in a nice 100g format and is presented in nice clear sellophane wrapping with easy break off chunks and has a good amount of dried banana pieces atop of it. Thae caramel chocolate was absolutely divine with the rich creamy chocolate flavour providing light notes of fudge, toffee and vanilla that contrasted well with the banana element of the chocolate bar. Thankfully because the bar actually contained banana rather than being banana flavour it didn't taste artificial at all and worked well with a lower cocoa percentage chocolate giving an almost banoffee pie like flavour yum!

Gareth James Caramel Chocolate + Dried Banana

The melt of the chocvolate was smooth and rich and enrobed the mouth wonderfully reminiscent of the rich buttery feel I have had some from Venezuelan chocolate, an amazing melt! The only problem that I found was that the crunchy banana pieces were slightly obtrusive when it came to letting the chocolate melt in the mouth so I found it was a bit better to do a bit crunching before letting it melt!

To be honest though I loved this bar and would quite happily enjoy it again; both the flavour and the texture were delicious and I can imagine that the caramel chocolate in itself would be a definate tasty chocolate treat even without the addition of the banana!

Gareth James Caramel Chocolate + Dried Banana

Taste - 8.2/10 - A lovely rich caramel chocolate with light notes added from the dried banana pieces.
Texture - 7.5/10 - The texture of the chocolate was absolutely amazing and would have scored higher if I hadn't found the dried banana pieces a bit obtrusive.
Appearance - 7/10 - Fairly simplistic but broke off well into good sized pieces.
Prices - 8/10 - I can't remember exactly what I paid for this but I think it was around the £2-£3 mark which I think is fairly good value and puts it on level with Hotel Chocolats mini slabs they do.
Overall - 7.7/10 - A banoffee pie in chocolate form! Definately one to enjoy and savour.

You can visit Gareth's shop on Tynemouth Front Street, Newcastle, or check him out on Facebook!

2 comments: