Thursday, 25 August 2011

Snickers Maximus

I don't review a lot of commercial stuff on here cause I figure that people eat it so often anyway that there's really no need to review it; but when new or limited edition products come out I love going on the hunt for them to try them out to compare them to the original versions!

Snickers is one of the only commercial chocolate bars that I like now & then; there's something about it that's really substantial and filling with its delicious caramel, nougatty, nutty filling! As a child getting one of these in my selection box was just the ultimate treat on Christmas Evening! So when I saw that Mars had launched a limited edition bar consisting of only the caramel & the nuts called Maximus and fronted by an advertising campaign complete with Mr T I just had to sezie the oppurtunity to try this out!! Although this bar has been out for quite a while you can still get it in quite a few shops and it is still going, so maybe it'll be a limited edition bar that'll last the year out.

Snickers Maximus

Opening the bar from the outside it looks virtually the same to the original Snickers; holding up its shape well but when cut into you can see that there is no nougat whatsoever and that the caramel and nuts have been mixed throughout to create a thick toffee nutty filling. The proportion of chocolate, caramel & peanuts in the bar is 31%, 42%, 26% respectively..where that last 1% went I'm not so sure?! So you do get a pretty good amount of caramel in your bar.

The flavour of the caramel seemed to be a lot deeper than the original Snickers with a strong hints of burnt brown sugar whilst the caramelised peanuts added a nice edge to it and were made more of the star of the show without the nougat present. The texture was soft and chewy with a nice crunch added by the nuts that blended well with the reasonably sweet chocolate coating.

Snickers Maximus

To be honest I couldn't decide whether I liked this better than the original Snickers or not; I felt it was a bit less sweet than the original Snickers due to there being no nougat present and it definately is one of the better limited edition bars that have been launched in recent times but whether I would get it again..hmm tough decision. One to try but I think my heart still lies with the original.

Snickers Maximus

Taste - 7.3/10 - Nice and nutty with lovely caramel flavours.
Texture - 7/10 - It was nice but mixed the chewy nougat somewhat.
Appearance - 6.6/10 - Thought the outer packaging could have been designed a bit better but the dispersion of nuts & caramel throughout the bar was really good.
Price - 7/10 - These are priced at around 40/50p so about the price of your average chocolate bar.
Overall - 6.9/10 - A good one to try if you're a fan of the original Snickers.. or you don't like nougat!

You can find the Snickers Maximus in pretty mcuh all newsagents/supermarkets.

8 comments:

  1. That's so weird, I guess the packing wasn't enough to make me to realise that this is not just another 'more intense' version of the original (like so many of these commercial chocolate companies' marketing campaigns that take something they already make, put it in a different wrapper and add slightly more of one of the ingredients to be able to call it a special or limited edition...) Only now after reading this blog post I see it's different in the sense they've taken the nougat away and added more caramel to replace it. So I guess this will give a different taste experience. Will get to the shop today and give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that Snickers was named for Frank Mar's horse? Its one of their oldest products I think.

    Can't bring myself to eat one actually, but I do like the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these but havent tried one yet...

    ...I should do really as the diet is well and truly out of the window ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is officially my snack for tomorrow at work, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! haven't seen this in the shops. Shame i don't like nuts!

    Gobble Monkey
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, I thnk I've seen something like this before, but I think I also prefer the vesion with the nougat. And congrats on your place at Oxford!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh doesn't seem like a big change, but now I'm curious. The limited edition flavors are really a hit or miss. I remember one that had Indiana Jones on the wrapper, and it was terrible! My roommate decided it must be must actually Indiana Jones-flavored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I not seen this? And I love that it's called maximus! That's so dumb. I might be onboard with it not being as sweet. It's been quite a while since I finished a non snack sized Snickers.

    ReplyDelete