Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Thorntons Bakewell Tart Limited Edition Chocolate Block

Whenever someone says Bakewell Tart to me I immediately think of Mr Kipling's cakes and the old combination of pastry; jam and sponge filling with almonds so it wasn't surprising that I was excited to see what the chocolate version of this classic British creation would be like brought to you by none other than classic British heritage chocolate company Thorntons, proudly celebrating their 100 year anniversary and launching this bar as a special edition.

Thorntons Bakewell Tart Bar

I must admit that I am not actually a huge fan of Bakewell Tarts in themselves, there's something about the sickly sweet jam and the almost marzipan taste of the almonds that just puts me off slightly, let's just say that its not a sweet treat that I would normally...actually ever choose if given the choice, but in chocolate..could it work?

Thornton's present the block in their usual format, 80g, this time in a dark pink cardboard exterior with good easily breakable chunks. The Bakewell Tart flavour is made possible by combining biscuit pieces (11%) and freeze dried raspberry pieces (3%) in 37% Costa Rican chocolate flavoured with almond; this is the one thing I love about the range of blocks that Thorntons do. Even when combining different flavours in unique bars they still keep the chocolate they use as the background flavour as good high cocoa percentage good quality chocolate!

Thorntons Bakewell Tart Bar

The flavour of the bar tastes exactly like it should...just like a Bakewell Tart..scarily realistic, from the strong almondy aroma on opening the packaging to the sweet raspberry tang and smooth mellow almond flavours that come through along with the crunchy light biscuit pieces this is a bar of Bakewell Tart through and through! The texture was quite strange..but a good strange, it wasn't creamy but slightly crunchy due to the addition of the biscuit and raspberry pieces and definately was a nice chocolate to munch and then let melt slightly!

Thorntons Bakewell Tart Bar

I can't complain really, this chocolate does exactly what it says on the tin, it is literally just like a Bakewell Tart, unfortunately for me though this meant that I wasn't really a huge fan of it, I would eat it and probably enjoy it slightly, just as I would a Bakewell Tart itself, but I would never go out and buy it. Therefore this is probably best left to true Bakewell fans and should grab this Limited Edition Bar whilst they can!

Thorntons Bakewell Tart Bar

Taste - 7.9/10 - Tastes just like a Bakewell tart, sweet, tangy and full of good almond flavour.
Texture - 7.3/10 - Wasn't creamy but had a nice sort of soft crunch to it.
Appearance - 7.3/10 - Like the way that Thorntons present their block format but felt that the biscuit pieces in it made it the chocolate look like it had a slight bloom to it.
Price - 7.8/10 - The bar is priced as £1.79 which if you love Bakewell Tart you've just gotta go for it!
Overall - 7.6/10 - For all you lovers of Bakewell Tart run to Thorntons now!

You can find the Bakewell Tart bar in all Thorntons shops now and online on their website at www.thorntons.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. I must hunt this down - it looks ace! I love Bakewell tarts - the ones in Pret a Manger rule :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too always think of Mr Kipling ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a Bakewell Tart, and I don't even know what one looks like.
    But I have this bar waiting for me in my chocolate stash, so I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete