Monday, 19 September 2011

Colin the Caterpillar Extra Large Marks and Spencer Chocolate Cake

I don't normally review things of just any old chocolate nature; heck there's so many chocolate cakes, biscuits etc out there that I really didn't want to concentrate this blog on just anything of an old chocolate nature, but with it being my birthday yesterday and me getting this huge chocolate Colin the Caterpillar cake I just had to do a post about it.

Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake Review


Nearly every year I've got the average size Colin the Caterpillar cake from Marks & Spencer and thoroughly enjoyed him but this year..the extra large one from the food to go catalogue was ordered and devoured on my birthday and oh how delicious it was.

The chocolate on the extra large cake is even thicker than it is on the normal one and the white chocolate smiling face on the front, that of course, is always given to the birthday person, was even thicker and larger than usual staring out at me from the front of the cake. I normally don't like white chocolate but there's something I enjoy every year about tucking into it. The white chocolate on this cake tastes far more creamy and a lot less sweet than usual and when mixed with a slice of chocolate cake is heaven.

Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake Review

The better thing about this cake than the smaller sized one is the fact that the white chocolate face, and the bum of Colin..which is also extremely thick, is stuck to the cake with one of the most generous portions of chocolate buttercream I have ever seen that is amazingly luxurious and so moreish that I wish the whole cake had been covered with it.

Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake Review

Moving onto the chocolate roll swiss sponge, there's not much I could fault about it, it was incredibly light and with a good generous portion of buttercream swirled through it and was fluffy, moist and most delicious. The sponge was made all the better if you got a chocolate bean/white chocolate foot with it, but even if not the thick milk chocolate covering that enrobed the cake wasn't a let down.

Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake Review

If you know someone who's an ultimate chocoholic and it's their birthday soon, I couldn't recommend a more delicious commercially available chocolate cake. It certainly made my birthday. Delicious.

Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake Review

Taste - 9.3/10 - Everything about it was delicious, even the white chocolate didn't seem overly sweet.
Texture - 9/10 - Moist sponge, thick chocolate covering, luxurious buttercream. The only thing I wish is that the buttercream that had been on both ends of the cake had been included as a covering all over.
Appearance - 9.4/10 - Amazingly cute and comes with an iced chocolate fondant plaque, which tasted a bit like chocolate fudge..mm.
Price - 8.7/10 - Priced at £35 it said it was meant to serve 40...that's if they barely had a slice..I would realistically say it serves about 25 decent slices.
Overall - 9.1/10 - A delicious birthday cake.

3 comments:

  1. a belated happy 18th...

    its great when you have birthday traditions like the Colin the Caterpillar cake...

    I will have to think up something like that for littlun ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to your 18th birthday :D

    Nice tradition. The caterpillar cake is so sweet. My daughter would also love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Everyone in my family pretty much gets this cake for all their birthdays! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete