Thursday, 8 September 2011

Mars Triple Chocolate

I really wish companies would start bringing a new exciting chocolate bar out rather than just revamping existing chocolate bars by making tiny tweaks to make them "new" and "limited edition"; the latest one to hit the scene is from Mars, changing the normal Mars Bar into Mars Triple Chocolate complete with a chocolate caramel and a chocolate flavour nougat coated in its usual chocolate exterior.

Mars Triple Chocolate

Whenever I do get those sugar cravings and want something cheap and more like confectionary than chocolate and decide to hit up some commercial stuff Mars is one of the bars I would very very rarely choose, I find it extremely sweet and sickly and very little like a chocolate bar at all. The only actual chocolate element in it is its chocolate coating and even that can barely be called chocolate. Therefore I was intrigued to see whether the new Mars Triple Chocolate would be more of an ultimate chocoholic experience.

It actually comes in a smaller size bar than the original Mars, only 52g, and instead of the black wrapping is packaged in a dark browny colour wrapper. The bar from the outside looks virtually identical to the regular Mars but on cutting into it you can see that the caramel is a chocolate colour and the nougat is slightly darker. In terms of colour it certainly looked like a chocolate overdose.

Mars Triple Chocolate

Unfortunately I can say that it did not taste the same. It really wasn't nice at all, at least with the normal Mars bar there is a taste of sort of overwhelming caramelly sugar, with this there was nothing. It was extremely bland and sort of tasted like a watered down poor excuse for a chocolate milk. Yak. I would hardly call this triple chocolate, in fact I would barely call it chocolate.

Mars Triple Chocolate

Although the texture was exactly the same as a Mars Bar in that it was quite chewy and satisfying in terms of its substantial feel it was completely let down in terms of taste; I would have even preferred a regular Mars to this and thats saying something.

Mars Triple Chocolate

Taste - 2/10 - Extremely bland, tasted of virtually nothing.
Texture - 7/10 - Your usual standard chewy, nougatty, caramelly Mars bar.
Appearance - 5/10 - I think they could have been a bit more innovative with the packaging rather than just chucking it in a dark brown wrapper.
Price - 6.1/10 - Its priced at around 50-70p which is your standard price for a chocolate bar nowadays, I may pay this once just to try it but definately wouldnt go back for more.
Overall - 5/10 - Completely average.

You can get the new Mars Triple Chocolate in pretty much all newsagents/supermarkets.

5 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to trying this one too...

    ...I will have a looksie for one anyway ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know you might like it :) you can always try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself often less satisfied by trashy chocolate not because of all the good stuff I review but I swear the recipe has been changing & the chocolate is not as nice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same, i swear i used to enjoy commercial chocolate but it seems to taste different nowadays.

    ReplyDelete