Friday, 14 October 2011

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

When I went to Paris I was generally with how many chocolate shops I managed to find on my trip there; there was so many I wanted to see and generally I only got round to viewing 3/4...definitely another excuse to go back. Although Jeff de Bruges may not really be one of the luxury boutique chocolate shops in the centre of Paris it is still a French based chocolate shop that has decided to produce a range of Belgian chocolates and is sort of along the lines of a French based Thorntons/Hotel Chocolat.

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

Now my French is anything but good so when I came to actually buying my Ballotin box it was quite eventful to say the least but thankfully at the end of it I emerged with a box of about 8 chocolates for a grand total of only €5, which I thought was an absolute bargain. However I can sort of see now why they were so low priced compared to the luxury boutique chocolates you can buy throughout Paris, as quite simply they are nothing of this standard.

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

Although the selection of chocolates that I bought sounded delicious :Bruxelles Noir (a dark chocolate ganache), Jeff (Soft Caramel), Bloc Gianduja, Manon Blanc (Light vanilla creme sprinkled with pieces of nougatine), Feuille Lait (Praline with little pieces of meringue), Marguerite Blanc (Praline with Nougatine), Jeff de Bruges Praline, Ballotin Lait (Praline with caramelised almond chips and finally a Vanillon (a vanilla cream with a whole walnut).



Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

However when it came to tasting them all they certainly didn't live up to their descriptions; although  all the textures and the designs were nice and the chocolates came well boxed with a good descriptive menu their actual flavours I felt were quite poor. They all tasted relatively samey; with no real strong taste of anything..if I had to use one word to describe them I would probably say..bland. Nothing exciting really going on in any of them to be honest; even the Bruxelles Noir which should have been a deep intense ganache was completely lacking in flavour whilst even a poor caramel normally has strong tastes of sugar this had nothing.

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

To be honest I was really disappointed with these chocolates I picked up; they certainly didn't glow with luxury Parisian quality and I guess for
€5 what can you expect..but still I expected better than this..maybe the bar I bought from there will go down better..we'll see but in terms of their filled chocolates..no thank you.

Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box Jeff de Bruges Ballotin Box

Taste - 3.2/10 - Very flavourless; nothing really that exciting going on and all tasted very bland and similar.
Texture - 6/10 - The textures were averagely good; a few of the pralines were a bit dry but it wasn't horrific.
Appearance - 7/5/10 - All the chocolates were very pretty and came in a nicely presented box complete with menu.
Price - 5/10 - Although
€5 may be good for the amount of chocolates you get..if they're not enjoyable it's not worth paying it!
Overall - 5.4/10 - A Parisian let down!

___________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
I can't really see who you would buy these for to be honest; if you'd been to Paris and wanted to bring them a cheap little something back maybe, but I reckon a lot of people would probably prefer a thing of Milka/Toblerone from the airport compared to these bland tasting chocolates.

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick up these chocolates from any Jeff de Bruges boutique or online on his website which can be viewed at www.jeff-de-bruges.com

2 comments:

  1. Bummer. That first truffle pic looks so sad - it looks like there's all sorts of air space inside the truffle. How unnecessary:/

    For 5 euros, you could have enjoyed two fantastic pains au chocolat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the very best Chocolates I have ever had. They were full of flavor. I thought they were to die for.

    ReplyDelete