Thursday, 27 October 2011

Zotter Butter Caramel Bar

You may remember that I had an experience with Zotter quite some time ago; after an unfortunate mistake in London when I picked up one of their more.."interesting" bars containing the delightful combination of fish and marshmallow..how..lovely.

Zotter Butter Caramel Bar

Thankfully however this time round it was a chance to sample one of their more plain, simple chocolate bars : Zotter Butter Caramel. The first thing I have to point out is the attention to detail that Zotter really give to each one of their chocolate bars; the artwork and the design of the packaging is not only unique but also really stands out on the shelves as being something a bit different and quirky and with such a wide range of chocolate bars to choose from it really is difficult to decide which one to buy!

I opted for the Butter Caramel, which came described as a dark 50% milk couveture with a caramel cream centre; now I don't know whether it's just me but when I read caramel cream I imagine thick oozing runny caramel as soon as I bite into the bar, so I got a bit of a surprise when I took a bite into this bar. As inside instead of the soft oozing caramel I expected I was greeted with a much much harder almost dark hard toffee like substance sitting on a bed of chewy nougat cracknell..wow this wasn't what I expected.

Zotter Butter Caramel Bar

I felt a bit like a dog trying to gnaw away at a bone when I tried to get my teeth into this bar but with perseverance the toffee, nougat and chocolate eventually give way allowing you to chew delightfully into the bar as it begins to break down in the mouth.  It seems like it's quite hard to actually call this bar a proper chocolate bar; I think to me its more a toffee nougat bar coated in the thinnest sliver of dark chocolate just for that little extra touch.

Zotter Butter Caramel Bar
Nevertheless that's not to say that it wasn't good, in fact, despite what I was expecting, and my initial shock I actually really went on to enjoy this bar. The toffee and the nougat is not overly sweet and provides wonderful notes of burnt sugar and buttery caramel that when mixed with the slightly more bitter dark chocolate creates a wonderful flavour combination in the mouth as the toffee begins to yield and you can start to chew it and let it melt in your mouth.

Although I feel a bit tricked by Zotter in their description of this bar it really doesn't do any harm..it still is infact a fantastic sweet treat..however for any of the older generation out there with false teeth who are expecting something a bit creamier and softer..STAY CLEAR!

Zotter Butter Caramel Bar

Taste - 7.2/10 - Although wrongly being described as a cream this definitely is butter caramel with its rich strong buttery burnt sugar flavours.
Texture - 5.6/10 - I'm not really a big fan of hard toffees, thankfully this one did break down to a a form that you could chew with time but it wasn't the cream I was expecting.
Appearance - 7/10 - As always Zotter's bars are presented exquisitely.
Price - 6/10 - At £3.75 this may be a bit more than you are willing to pay for a bar of toffee and is more for a finer treat than one you might just pick up when you're in need of a pick me up.
Overall - 6.45/10 - Nice for what it was, I think I was just let down in terms of what I expected and what I actually got.

____________________________________________

WHERE TO BUY?Zotter is quite hard to get your hands on but quite a few delis are starting to stock them and you can find out more information at http://www.zotterchocolate.co.uk/

WHO FOR?
This would make quite a nice different Stocking filler for someone a bit older maybe, although with Zotter's other fun bars they do and the nice fun looking packaging kids would probably love it too!

3 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    In case you didnt know, Zotter's Chocolate is stocked at Olives deli, along High St in Oxford, next to Teddy Hall!

    Jeremy
    (from the Chocolate Enthusiasts' Club)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yehhh thanks, I picked mine up from Taylors theyve got a huge choice there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I want a marshmallow and fish bar! Crazy European chocolate bars with endless odd flavor combinations:)

    This sounds delicious, although misleading, and may warrant a visit to the dentist afterwards. Looks like you've got some strong teeth!

    ReplyDelete