Sunday, 13 November 2011

Cocoa Loco Christmas Pudding Truffles

With Christmas drawing ever closer you're going to start to see more and more Christmas reviews starting to pop up here on Lot-O-Choc; ranging from the fun novel childrens Christmas treats to a more sophisticated chocolate gift for all the adults out there. Today we have an offering for the older generation from Cocoa Loco, Christmas Pudding Truffles.

Cocoa Loco Christmas Pudding Truffle Review

For many people the highlight of their Christmas dinner is the dessert, the old faithful Christmas pudding, with its fruity festive spiced rum soaked flavour..however for me this is never the case, I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like Christmas pudding, its always the prospect of roast parsnips that get me going. I'm the awkward person at the table who has to have a different dessert than everyone else because I've never found that fondness towards the flaming festive pudding!

However I never pass up on the opportunity to try a bit of chocolate so off I set to try these Christmas Pudding Truffles; packaged in a clear box and wrapped with a delightful festive looking Cocoa Loco red ribbon the 6 truffles that you do get certainly look substantial with their dark chocolate outer casing, and decorated with white chocolate and a dried cranberry. Pretty and pudding looking!

Cocoa Loco Christmas Pudding Truffle Review

Biting into the truffle I found that there was the perfect amount of chocolate exterior; they are very well proportioned and allow the smooth ganache truffle centre to be the majority of the chocolate, just as a good truffle should be! The texture is extremely smooth and sumptuous, and just as advertised provides very subtle hints of rum with slight dried fruit and spice notes; if you're expecting a chocolate with such a rum kick that its going to knock your socks off then I wouldn't go for this, but for me I found it perfectly balanced and I found myself actually really enjoying it. Normally it's the strong alcoholic flavour that puts me off Christmas pudding, but the light rum notes mixed with the dark chocolate and spices was really quite enjoyable in this.

If you're wanting a fun stocking filler for someone; or even as an after piece at Christmas dinner to the main pudding I can certainly recommend these Christmas pudding truffles, just don't expect too much alcohol from them..if you fancy a bit more I guess you can always pour some more on your real pudding!

Cocoa Loco Christmas Pudding Truffle Review

Taste - 8.2/10
- Just as advertised these Christmas pudding truffles are subtly flavoured and provide a nice background flavour of spices, rum and fruit.
Texture - 7.5/10 - Well proportioned and the ganache centre is delightfully smooth.
Appearance - 8.3/10 - These look really pretty and would look gorgeous popping out of the top of a Christmas stocking.
Price - 7/10 - These are priced at £5.99 which works out a £1 a truffle, I'd say this is pretty good value, I mean most people shell out about that much for their Christmas pudding..if not more!
Overall - 7.8/10 - A more subtle take on the Christmas pudding.

____________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
I think these are definitely more suited towards adults than children and would definitely make a nice gift for a partner during the festive period, or as an after Christmas dinner chocolate.

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick these up from the Cocoa Loco website.

2 comments:

  1. Another spot-on review!

    The rum notes were to light for my tastes, but the "pudding spice" was sufficient to bring the chocolate up to par.

    What surprised me was the freshness of that small bit of fruit on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a Christmas pudding before, not my tradition I guess. But we have a family friend who ALWAYS makes rum balls during the holidays, and they have been devoured by me since I was way way way too young to legally enjoy them.

    So these are very tempting to me...:)

    ReplyDelete