Saturday, 31 December 2011

Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

Well all, I hope you had a lovely Christmas and are looking forward to New Year and what better way to look into what chocolates could be coming your way in 2012 than looking at a relatively new company : The Grown Up Chocolate Company. What I have from them today is their version of their Tasting Club selection; it seems that more and more chocolate companies are starting to offer mail delivered tasting selections that fit just nicely through your letter box for you to  have look forward to when you get in from work without the hassle of having to trek off to the post office!

The Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

When I found this box waiting on my doormat I was really excited to see what they would be like compared to the likes of Hotel Chocolat's etc tasting clubs, and whether they would live up to the other chocolate offerings I've tried. As I opened the package up to unveil the box within I was pleased to see that it was wonderfully designed; containing a menu detailing each chocolate with room for you to score each one to then send back to the guys at Grown Up Chocolate Company to let them know what you thought of each one + a paper film over the top of all the chocolates with the appropriate name written in the correct place, there's no chance of you picking up the wrong chocolate by mistake here!

The Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

Looking over the menu I was quite surprised to find that inside the box, containing 31 chocolates, a selection of pralines, ganaches and truffles + 2 bars, Praline Feuilletine + White Chocolate with Raspberry pieces,that there wasn't a trace of alcohol in any of the flavours, as I presumed what with the chocolates being "Grown Up" that quite a few of them may pack a boozy punch. This made me slightly confused about the concept; what exactly made these chocolates Grown Up? Was it that they would be too good to share with children? As I pondered at the flavours offered there was quite a few that took my fancy, with offerings such as a Caramel Cream Ganache, Praline Feuilletine Bar and Spiced Praline amongst few.

The Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

The style of the chocolates is quite simplistic; reminding me of the minimalistic designs that you often see of French Chocolatiers and I would have liked to see maybe a bit more "zing or zest" so that when you opened the box you really thought "wow they look pretty". I was hoping that the flavours would also be reminiscent of fine French ganaches and pralines; alas they were not; although they were still good I felt as if there was something missing.

The Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

If I would have to describe these chocolates in one word I'd probably say "safe"; none of the chocolates really stood out as spectacular or particularly memorable and they were fairly unexciting. Not saying that these chocolates were bad; in fact you can tell that they were very well made, the textures were smooth and creamy and the flavours were there but there was nothing different enough to make me want to go back for loads more.

The Grown Up Chocolate Company Tasting Selection

Nevertheless The Grown Up Chocolate Company are fairly new and with a few tweaks here and there I think their Tasting Selection could be superb, it seems to hold the building blocks and maybe a bit more adventure added to the chocolates could make them divine!

Taste - 6.2/10 - There wasn't particularly bad about them but there was nothing that stood out and made me think YUM!
Texture - 7.1/10 - The textures were all relatively good, smooth creamy ganaches and soft sumptuous pralines.
Appearance - 7/10 - I loved the layout of the box and how it was set out with the paper film but the look of the chocolates themselves I thought was a bit bland.
Price - NA - I'm not sure what these price at but I remember them being cheaper than Hotel Chocolat's version.
Overall - 6.7/10 - A work in the making.

______________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
I'm not too sure on this one, I suppose they're meant to be for "Grown Ups" but the flavours offered would be suitable for sharing with children as well.

WHERE TO BUY?

You can get these online at www.thegrownupchocolateclub.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I am in heaven!! lol FANTASTIC review on your blog here, Im heading over to them right away! lol. Following you on twitter now as xcardiffbirdx. Happy New Year to you guys xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chocolate tasting club? How cool! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trying crazy flavors of chocolate, so I think these would have disappointed me. Safe is still good, but it has to be executed well. Last night I tried something new to me, a dark chocolate lemon creme truffle. It was surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete