Sunday, 15 January 2012

Recchiuti Bittersweet 85%

It's been quite a while since I've reviewed anything from across the pond so today I thought I'd bring to you this Recchiuti Bittersweet bar, 85%, to tantalise your tastebuds. For those of you that don't know, Recchiuti's is a San Fransisco chocolate company owned by a man named Michael Recchiuti and produces a wide range of both filled and barred chocolates.

Michael Recchiuti Bittersweet 85% bar

I'd had this Recchiuti bar in the cupboard for quite some time, after receiving it from Victoria at The District Chocoholic, and it was only upon reading the book "The Chocolate Connoisseur" that I decided to dig it out. In the book it explains this chocolate as one of the really classic bars of dark chocolate, one that you can always go back to, a safe comforting friend that won't let you down.

Michael Recchiuti Bittersweet 85% bar

After reading about the bar I couldn't resist trying it out for myself..I mean..who could! So I rushed to my chocolate cupboard to dig it out to sample for myself. The bar is packaged in a lovely glossy card cover and the rich sumptuous chocolate bar just slides out immediately hitting you with strong cocoa fragrances.

Michael Recchiuti Bittersweet 85% bar

You can tell from the sheer snap of the bar how deep and luxurious this bar is, breaking it into squares is quite an effort, this isn't a flimsy bar but a thick cocoa rich offering, and on placing in the mouth gives a delightful array of flavours. I found that it started with a slight tobacco flavour at first, quite harsh, before becoming creamier and leading way to light raisin and vanilla notes before ending on honey and red berry hints. To be honest this bar was delightful, with a creaminess more attributed to bars of a lower cacao percentage and although the melt was quite dry it was a wonderful dense chocolate bar that I felt just empowered real raw earthy cocoa flavour.

Michael Recchiuti Bittersweet 85% bar

This bar  is definitely one for the cold winter months, as eating it, it just reminded me of a rich creamy warming hot chocolate, and I can exactly see how this has been called a classic, as it is certainly a bar I wouldn't hesitate to pick up again!

Taste - 8.1/10 - A lovely good earthy raw cocoa flavour, rich and cocoa filled.
Texture - 7.2/10 - Quite a dry melt but a lovely substantial dense chocolate.
Appearance - 7.9/10 - Lovely glossy shine on the bar and presented elegantly,
Price - 8/10 - A bar of this size was priced at $7.00 which I think is excellent value for a bar this good and rich.
Overall - 7.8/10 - A very enjoyable chocolate bar.
______________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who enjoys a really good rich bar of chocolate, probably more suited to older tastebuds.

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick this up at www.recchiuti.com

No comments:

Post a Comment