Friday, 3 February 2012

Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection

Although I'd tried a few of the Charbonnel et Walker Truffle boxes I'd never got round to trying any of their actual filled/boxed selections of chocolates and what with a year full of British Celebrations, what with it being the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and all, I thought what better time to try some classic British chocolates!

Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection

I decided to opt for their Milk Selection, consisting of a Fudge, Praline, Falstaff (a cherry & almond marzipan style chocolate), Orange Fondant, Montelimar (a nougat style chocolate), Cafe Charbonnel ( a coffee truffle and a Truffle Crown Ganache, a Caramel, all covered in classic milk chocolate.

Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection

You get some boxes of chocolates that look artistic and fun, others simplistic and classic; this box from Charbonnel et Walker is that of the latter, presented in a very plain white box and complete with a very elegant looking menu that also contains pictures of what each chocolate should look like so you can attempt to decipher which chocolate is which!

Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection

However this is where I found the elegance ended as I wasn't particularly impressed with the standard of the chocolates on this occasion; infact the only one that I found to be remotely pleasant was the Truffle Crown Ganache. All the other chocolates were of a much lower standard to what I expected from Charbonnel et Walker, the Fudge was a tad dry, the Orange Fondant was artificial tasting and sickly and the Praline was an utter tasteless let down. I don't really need to go on and highlight the minor blips in each chocolate but there was virtually something in every chocolate that was a tad off.

Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection

I don't know whether this was just a bad box I experienced from Charbonnel et Walker but if this is something to go by it certainly isn't a good way to start the British celebrations for this year!



Charbonnel et Walker Milk Selection


Taste - 4/10 - There was something slightly off about each chocolate, the tastes just tasted either too artificial or weren't pleasant whatsoever!
Texture - 4.2/10 - They all seemed to be quite dry.
Appearance - 6/10 - Although I liked the presentation of the box I found that the chocolates themselves were a bit bland looking.
Price - 5.4/10 - I think I paid around £10 for these chocolates from John Lewis, if these were actually good chocolates then I think it would  be worth it..alas I was let down.
Overall - 4.9/10 - I'm hoping this was just a bad batch as I expected so much more.

____________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
I definitely think this is a selection of chocolates for the older generation, I can imagine this is the sort of box of chocolates I'd buy my Grandma or my Aunty.

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick these up from various department stores or from Charbonnel et Walkers website.

1 comment:

  1. I hate when you expect so much and it doesn't deliver! The flavors sounded really good, so hopefully it was just a bad batch!

    ReplyDelete