Thursday, 16 February 2012

House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

I think it's a great idea to have chocolate selections suited to particular flavours/tastes; not only does it avoid the disappointment of having to leave chocolates or give them to someone else but it also allows you to experience the "feature" flavour in a number of ways allowing you to appreciate how it can be used in different ways. 

House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

House of Dorchester produce a range of chocolates which focus on different themes, the one I'm going to review for you today is their Caramel Collection; made up of 8 chocolates of  4 different varieties : Runny Caramel, Hard Caramel, Fudgy Caramel and Chewy Caramel, packaged in a sturdy rectangular box adorned with images of the chocolates + their names along the side to help you to decipher which ones which!

House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

I find that caramel is often one of those additions to chocolate that can quite often be hit or miss, many of you will have had the experience of sampling a caramel so sweet that it makes your teeth stand on edge..or a caramel...well that barely even seems like its there! I decided to start my adventure on the caramel express with the Runny Caramel; wrapped in gold foil and heart shaped I was hoping that I would love this chocolate!

The caramel was soft and runny and encased in a good solid milk chocolate shell, it wasn't overly sweet but sweet enough, with light burnt sugar and caramel notes, to make its mark in the box! Moving on I decided to go for the Fudgy Caramel; a lighter fudge chocolate coated in white chocolate I found this to be a bit too sweet for my liking, I just think the combination of fudge + white chocolate together was a too much sweetness for me to handle but I'm sure the majority of the population would be quite happy to munch away on some of these!


House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

After experiencing the soft Runny Caramel I thought it was about time to experience its counter part; the Hard Caramel, anyone who loves sinking their teeth into a good chewy bit of toffee will love this as it is certainly one of those chocolates that you can get your teeth into! The caramel flavour was nicely subtly and wasn't overly drowned out by a large addition of sugar but if you're wanting to stay hold of any false teeth I'd steer clear of this one!

House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

Finally, saving the best til last I chose the last little chocolate in the box, the Chewy Caramel..I'm not too sure what to make of this chocolate, it was sort of in the middle of a fudge/hard toffee and although it required some light chewing it certainly wasn't one that was going to cause you any problems in losing any teeth! The flavour was light yet present with delightful soft toffee notes that just melted away in the mouth..I made sure I got myself both of these ones in the box!!

House of Dorchester Caramel Collection

If you like your caramel chocolates, then really, what can I say, I'd definitely get yourself a box of these; although there were a few hit and misses overall they make a nice selection for any caramel chocolate lover and with 2 of each flavour if you're feeling kind you can even share!

Taste - 7.2/10 - Apart from the fudgy caramel I was pleased to see that none of these chocolates were overly sweet!
Texture - 6.8/10 - The textures were all relatively good and stuck to their names well..the Hard Caramel is pretty hard..so beware!
Appearance - 7.1/10 - Although the chocolates themselves look nothing spectacular the box they are packaged in is lovely,
Price - 7.3/10 - Priced at £5.25 I think these are really good value for money for just a small little gift for yourself or for someone else. I feel that the quality of the chocolates really matched up well to their price tag putting them somewhere above Thorntons but below Hotel Chocolat.
Overall - 7.1/10 - A good quality commercial accessible box of chocolates.

_____________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Well for anyone that loves caramel chocolates really!

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick these up from the House of Dorchester website, or many retailers nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment