Sunday, 25 March 2012

Domori Teyuna Colombia 70%

I've long toyed with the idea of buying some of Domori's bars; not being particularly easily available where I live, when I made a trip down to London I thought it was the perfect opportunity to pick some up and see what they had to offer; skimming through the bars on the shelves and glancing at the different tasting notes apparently offered within each bar it was the Teyuna that really seemed to appeal to me.

Domori Teyuna Columbia 70%

Described as sweet & long lasting, with notes of honey and cashew, I thought this sounded delightful and was looking forward to unwrapping it to sample. From the exterior of the bar, it looks as if you get a fairly good amount of chocolate for the price of £2.95; however if you look closely, and when you come to unwrap the bar, you only actual get the small amount of 25g, not a lot really, but with finer chocolate such as this, made from Trinitario cocoa beans, less is needed to have the same fulfilling effect.

Domori Teyuna Columbia 70%

Popping a small cube into my mouth I waited and waited to try and taste the honey and cashew notes that I was promised, but they just never came, not strongly anyway, I got some slight twangs of each but the main flavour I picked up on was that of a smoky tobacco undertone with a slight coffee edge to it. 

Domori Teyuna Columbia 70%

To be honest, I found it a bit overwhelming and not the most well-balanced or subtle of chocolate bars packing a more robust overpowering flavour. The only good thing about this bar is that with it being relatively thin that as soon as you put a sliver onto your tongue is that it melts relatively easily, with no chewing really required; although the all over feel in the mouth is a bit drying.

Domori Teyuna Columbia 70%

I will pick up some more of Domori's products in the future, definitely, to try out, but this time round, it didn't really hit the mark for me.

Taste - 6.4/10 - There were slight honey and cashew notes but I certainly picked up more smoky/bitter coffee taste, maybe this was a bad batch?
Texture - 6.5/10 - A plus that it melts easily on the tongue, a minus that its a bit dry.
Appearance - 6.8/10 - Domori's packaging is lovely, stylish and sleek, but you could feel a bit let down if you expected more chocolate inside.
Price - 7/10 - Although not getting much chocolate I like that this is affordable at £2.95 and if you don't like the chocolate then at least you feel that you haven't wasted your money.
Overall - 6.6/10 - Not as nice as I expected.

______________________________________________________________________________
WHERE TO BUY?
I picked mine up from Selfridges in London, but The Chocolate Trading Co also stock it.

WHO FOR?
Someone who appreciates finer chocolates who is looking for a bar that packs a bit of punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment