Monday, 9 April 2012

Swiss Alps Milk Chocolate with Hazelnuts

To me, when anyone says Swiss chocolate, it immediately brings back flooding memories of childhoods spent tucking into Lindt chocolate; that creamy, luxurious, deep milky malty flavour always has a little special place in my heart; so when one of my friends brought me back a bar of Swiss Alps chocolate from a recent trip to Europe I was hoping that it would live up to my take on what Swiss chocolate should be like.

The outer packaging is fairly self explanatory; a lovely looking picture of a "Swiss mountain", the Swiss flag and some milk chocolate with hazelnuts...pretty much a do what it says on the tin type of bar.

Swiss Alps Milk Chocolate with Hazelnuts

The fact it was studded with "broken" hazelnuts made the bar even more appealing, and unwrapping the wrapper I was immediately hit with a strong milky cocoa aroma; however on breaking into the bar the texture of it between my fingers felt slightly dry and waxy, more like Dairy Milk than that of the smoother creamier textures of other milk chocolates I've had, and looking on the ingredients on the back of the packaging I found that milk powder was actually present, most likely intensifying the crumbly consistency.

The texture was intensified further as I popped a cube into my mouth, I so longed for that rich mouth enrobing quality that so often good milk chocolates have; all I was met with was a cube of chocolate that didn't melt all that well and felt slightly..uncomfortable and gritty in the mouth. Surprisingly despite the dry nature of the texture the flavour was quite creamy and the nuts did provide a nice crunch and addition to the sweet flavour of the milk chocolate but I wouldn't go out of my mind if I never got to have another cube of this chocolate and I'm certain there surely is better Swiss milk chocolate than this out there.

Swiss Alps Milk Chocolate with Hazelnuts

Taste - 5.8/10 - Pleasantly milky and creamy with a nice nutty addition from the hazelnuts, but certainly nothing spectacular.
Texture - 3.8/10 - Very dry, gritty and waxy.
Appearance - 4.6/10 - Average, the dispersion of nuts could have been better.
Price - NA/10 - I'm not too sure what this was priced at.
Overall - 4.7/10 - Not the best.

_________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who likes sweet chocolate would probably enjoy this but there's better stuff out there.

WHERE TO BUY?I think this was picked up in a European supermarket abroad.

4 comments:

  1. Hm you can tell from your photo that it doesn't look very creamy - shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you got an "old" chocolate bar? A friend just brought back a few bars from Geneva and they were creamy, not waxy, not gritty, and were consistently chocolate-brown all the way through. We had hazelnut, raisin, plain, dark. If you got a bad one, that's just sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really :( thats a shame - i wish id got a "good" one, i normally love swiss chocolate!

      Delete