Monday, 28 May 2012

Lake Champlain Chocolates 5* Peanut Bar

When I came back from NY I literally had nearly a suitcase full of food; cereal, novel snacks and of course chocolate, all brought back from my great grocery haul from the wonderful place that is Wholefoods..how I so wish there was a store that good near me. This little Lake Champlain 5* bar caught my eye immediately as I entered the chocolate aisle; although many different varieties were scattered on the shelves it was this peanut one that jumped out and said "buy me, buy me".

Lake Champlain 5* Peanut Bar

I'm a sucker for anything normally that mixes peanut butter & chocolate, the combo of salty sweet is just ideal, and if this bar was deemed to be 5* worthy..then I just had to give it a go!

Although it looked quite small and minute on the shelf, don't be fooled, although it's not very long it is pretty thick and substantial and weighs in at around a good 46g, combining peanuts, peanut butter, crispy rice and milk + white chocolate it sounds like this bar had been plucked straight from the heavens of the peanut butter & chocolate God!

I really hoped that this wasn't gonna be one of those really sweet sickly peanut butter bars that are just bulked out with a whole load of added sugar and vegetable oils; looking at the ingredients it certainly didn't seem to be, so here's hoping the higher "gourmet" price of around $3.75 I paid would really be worth it, you can normally get Reese's PB cups for around a $1, so I hoped I hadn't wasted my money.

Lake Champlain 5* Peanut Bar

As I chomped down into this little gem you immediately realise how thick and satisfying this chocolate bar is going to be; the peanut butter blended with white chocolate centre is so amazingly creamy, smooth and indulgent, enrobing my tongue in a thick peanut butter embrace. This certainly isn't the slightly more gritty texture that you may be used to from the likes of Reese's etc; this is full on luxury!

However the fun doesn't stop there; the crisped rice and the chopped peanuts add a wonderful texture contrast and interject a slightly more savoury element to the chocolate bar as a whole. I can completely understand why these bars have been called 5* and why Vogue deemed them to be "The Ultimate Chocolate Bar"; it may not be your fine single origin stuff, with deep cocoa notes, but as a chocolate/candy bar goes, if you like your peanut butter and you like your chocolate you just simply have to try one of these!

Lake Champlain 5* Peanut Bar  


Taste - 8.3/10 - Yum, peanut butter and chocolate heaven. Not too sweet, but creamy, rich and indulgent.
Texture - 9.3/10 - Such an amazingly luxurious filling contrasting nicely with the crunchy peanuts and crisp rice.
Appearance - 7/10 - Looks can be deceiving as this chocolate bar looks pretty small; just like one large chunk of chocolate really but it does deliver quite a hit.
Price - 7.4/10 - At $3.75 a shot this is more expensive than your regular chocolate bar, so probably something you'd maybe only eat now and again and actually sit down to enjoy it rather than just grabbing something sweet on the go.
Overall - 8/10 - So much more than a peanut butter chocolate bar!

____________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Love peanut butter? If you do you've got to give this a go.

WHERE TO BUY?
I'm not sure what its like trying to get these in the U.S but I bought mine from a Wholefoods, more details can be found on the Lake Champlain website.

No comments:

Post a Comment