Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Mast Brothers Black Truffle + Sea Salt

I'd heard so much about Mast Brothers' chocolate; with its upmarket artisan chocolate appeal and how difficult it is for anyone to be able to get their hands on it in the UK, other than Paul A Youngs shop in Soho I'm not sure of anywhere else where you can pick it up, it has a real exclusive appeal that just makes you hope that the higher price tag you are going to pay for it is really going to be worth its while.

I was lucky enough to go to New York a couple of months ago, and whilst I was out there, I, of course, had to pick up a couple of bars of Mast Brothers! I didn't actually get the chance to make it over to their shop in Brooklyn, which I hear is a great experience, but I did manage to grab a couple of bars in one of the shops out there and when I saw this little gem I just knew that it and I had to meet!

Mast Brothers Black Truffle & Sea Salt
A 74% dark chocolate complete with black truffle from Italy and sea salt from Maine this chocolate bar is presented in Mast Brothers usual wallpaper style packaging, simplistic and unassuming with the chocolate being allowed to take centre stage.

As soon as you open the packaging you can see the small flecks of sea salt adorned across the top of the chocolate  and there is a wonderful smell that engulfs your senses and just makes you want to take a bite. Snapping off a small square of chocolate and placing it on my tongue I waited with anticipation to see whether this bar from Mast Brothers lived up to the hype of the brand.

All I can say is wow! I've read a few reviews of this online..there seems to be some lovers and some haters, I can say with a big smile on my face, that I was a lover. The tang of the sea salt hits the palette perfectly, even with the flavour of the salt there is so much depth, it isn't just "salty", but tastes of the seaside, fresh, zingy and natural.

Mast Brothers Black Truffle & Sea Salt

 This tang of the salt contrasts perfectly against the subtle flavour from the black truffle, ever so slightly drying and earthy but full of flavour, with the salt and the truffle together providing a complete savoury unami flavour that surrounds your palette before the flavours of the dark chocolate begin to come through, allowing you to experience subtle fruit flavours of cherries, berries & currants.

To me this bar was a bit like Yin and Yang, so savoury at the start before you begin to experience the sweeter flavours the chocolate offers; but all together I found this to be one of the nicest chocolate experiences I've had. I normally don't like my chocolate too savoury but this time I just felt it worked, an explosion of flavour, subtle, yet so powerful all at the same time. I just wish I'd brought a case full of this back!

Taste - 9.2/10 - A wonderful unami flavour before leading way to the sweeter dark chocolate, the salt was divine, the truffle flavours were rich and sumptuous and together it all just worked"
Texture - 8.5/10 - The chocolate had a nice smooth melt and the bar a good shine.
Appearance - 7.3/10 - Unassuming yet elegant the ornate wallpaper packaging is a nice change.
Price - 7.7/10 - At around $9 for a bar it's for someone who's wishing to shell out a bit more than the usual but it's so worth it!
Overall - 8.2/10 - Loved it.

___________________________________________________________________________
WHERE TO BUY?
You can buy Mast Brothers at Paul A Young's shop in Soho, whether you can pick up this particular bar I'm not sure, other than that in the States you can buy this bar in various locations, especially in New York, if in doubt check out their website here.

WHO FOR?
Someone who enjoys the finer things in life and isn't reluctant to spend a bit more on a special more upmarket bar of chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try Mast Brothers Chocolate too, very jealous! Sweet and savoury sound like a interesting combination. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the title, I didn't think I'd like it but from seeing it and reading your description it sounds like I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like the Mast Brothers chocolate, but this flavour is truly dreadful. The pairing of truffle and chocolate is a disaster, and everyone in my workplace that tried this flavour (nine of us), agreed.

    ReplyDelete