Saturday, 23 June 2012

Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups

Ah the good old peanut butter cup; a delicious delight, the combination of slightly sweet yet salty creamy peanut butter centre against the contrast of a good milk chocolate, if done well, is one of my most favourite delights to tuck into. Sure, I would grab a Reese's for a quick sugar hit and the flavours are nice for that on the go rush; but looking at the ingredients afterwards always makes me feel slightly..."icky".

Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups

That's where Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups really interested me; I saw them for sale when I was at a Wholefoods in New York a while ago and had to pick them up; marketed as vegan and gluten free, with no trans fats, no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavours or preservatives, these seem to be Peanut Butter Cups complete with halos and contain a creamy peanut butter centre coated in rice milk chocolate.

Ok, ok, so they may be "better" for me than a normal Peanut Butter Cup, but they have to live up to taste surely as well..nobody wants to eat chocolate that tastes of cardboard! Taking my first bite into the Peanut Butter Cup I started to wonder exactly what the link was between these Peanut Butter Cups and Cleopatra, the famous Egyptian. On further research apparently they were named this due to the famous love affair of Antony and Cleopatra..apparently going as well together as Peanut Butter & Chocolate, a match made in heaven.

Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups

Thankfully these Peanut Butter Cups lived up to that famous romance; tasting oh so scrumptious and certainly a lot better than Reese's; the inside, the peanut butter centre was a lot more creamy and not as crumbly and breakable as it's Hershey's counterpart; more "gooey" as if the peanut butter had melted slightly. However despite the better texture on the inside the rice milk chocolate coating, I felt, was slightly waxy; nevertheless this didn't perturb me from really enjoying this chocolate treat, the peanut butter and chocolate flavours worked perfectly together and instead of getting an overwhelming sugar hit and a surge of artificial chemicals into my body; I was able to enjoy this fairly natural product both in terms of taste and goodness.

Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups

Now I'm not condoning that eating these Peanut Butter Cups is all health and virtue but when you look at what is packed into some commercial bars I'd choose this over them any day and if you're looking for a dairy alternative chocolate for either vegans or lactose intolerance sufferers then this is ideal.

Taste - 8.4/10 - Really nice, good creamy peanut butter flavour and a light rice milk chocolate coating.
Texture - 7/10 - The inner peanut butter centre was gorgeous but the rice milk chocolate coating was slightly waxy.
Appearance - 6.8/10 - Two nice sized peanut butter cups; but again a slightly waxy sheen and the packaging isn't the most inspiring.
Price - 7.5/10 - I think I paid around $1.50 for these which I think is excellent value.
Overall - 7.4/10 - A great alternative to a regular peanut butter cup.
_______________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who's slightly health conscious, vegans or those suffering from lactose intolerance.

WHERE TO BUY?I picked mine up at Wholefoods but these are actually made by a company called Go Max Go Foods, you can check out their website here.

5 comments:

  1. Mm, i have only eaten peanut butter cups a few times when i was 9, they don't sell any of those near me anymore! Would Love to try those, guess i am a little health conscious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Ingredients: Milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, corn syrup solids, soy lecithin, PGPR) peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, TBHQ

    Those don't strike me as too "Icky" but I do like Go Max Go's ethical sourcing. Have you tried Justin's PB cups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh when I got Reese's in the UK they had partially hydrogenated oil and a few other ingredients I didnt recognise on the ingredients list from what i remember; maybe its just me haha!

    No havent tried Justins; really want to though, they look good, hard for me to get my hands on in the UK though, next time I go to the US ill have to try and pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reese's is weird, for some varieties they have hydrogenated oils, and others don't, even when they're the same basic reeses but just different sizes/versions. Justins cups are alright, but I still think reeses are the standard for mass produced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never had peanut cups, these look wonderful, will have to seek some out of some sort

    ReplyDelete