Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Jeff de Bruges Choco'Cone

It came to my attention recently via the wonderful joys of grocery news websites that a new product was about to be brought into the  market, that, albeit looking like an ice cream cone, similar to the style of a Cornetto, was actually a cone filled with a chocolate paste, meant to appeal as a sweet tasty chocolate treat for kids that didn't have the inconvenience of needing to be frozen, like a regular ice cream cone.

"Alas" I cried; I had already tried something virtually identical to this only a few weeks previously from well known chocolatier Jeff de Bruges; sold as a fun child's chocolate treat, his Choco'cone consisted of a wafer cornet filled with a smooth hazelnut praline, sprinkled with pieces of hazelnut, dark chocolate chips and crispy puffed rice.

Jeff de Bruges Choco'Cone

If the British version, launched by Hancocks Cash & Carry..ah yes..that well known chocolatier..ahem,  is anything like the Jeff de Bruges' then I'll definitely have to stock up. I always loved as a kid reaching the bottom of a Cornetto ice cream to find that delightful chunk of chocolate in the bottom; in fact, it was virtually my favourite bit of the whole ice cream. So to have this same idea but fill it with a hazelnut praline, it just ticked every box for me!

Not being too big it didn't feel like an overly indulgent treat and just a nice little something to get me through the day and give me my much needed chocolate fix, the chocolate hazelnut praline centre was absolutely divine; creamy, sweet and nutty and the smooth rich texture worked delightfully against the crunchy wafer cone.

Jeff de Bruges Choco'Cone

On top of that the crunchy bits of hazelnuts, rice crisps and dark chocolate pieces added an extra element to the already tasty treat and gave a wonderful finish to it. The best thing about this was that thankfully the kind person who got me these, hehe, got me 2! In fact this was so good that I just had to tuck into the 2nd one..and because they are only 25g each, no need to feel guilty!

Taste - 8.3/10 - A wonderful treat; sweet, nutty, rich yet not overly sickly.
Texture - 8.9/10 - The hazelnut praline centre was divine, smooth, sumptuous with a wonderfully crunchy wafer cone exterior.
Appearance - 8.6/10 - Packaging is cute and neat whilst cone looks inviting and tempting.
Price - 8.8/10 - These are priced at only €1,00 each! An affordable tasty treat!
Overall - 8.7/10 - Yum!
______________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
I think these are meant to be aimed towards children looking for a small chocolate treat to buy with their pocket money..but really..we're all big kids at heart anyway aren't we!

WHERE TO BUY?You can pick these up from Jeff de Bruges stores or online at their website. Although no doubt soon we'll be seeing the British version of these popping up in local stores.

1 comment:

  1. I like to buy mini ice cream sandwiches-- enough for a few bites and to satisfy my ice cream craving...but not enough to blow a day of healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete