Saturday, 14 July 2012

Taza Chocolate Orange Disks

I've had a couple of experiences with Taza in the past; I love the raw natural feel of the chocolate that they create; the way they stone grind the chocolate creates a wonderful texture with crystals of sugar and deep strong cocoa flavours, perfect for either letting slowly melt on the tongue, crunching away at it or making it a silky smooth hot chocolate.

Taza Orange Chocolate Disk

I sit somewhere on the fence when it comes to orange flavoured chocolates; when done well they can be absolutely delicious; helping to complement the background cocoa flavours and offering a subtle acidity; however all too often I am just reminded of horrific memories of Orange Cremes from tins of Cadbury's Roses at Christmastime..how anyone can eat and enjoy those I have no idea?!

Taza Orange Chocolate Disk

Thankfully these Chocolate Orange Disks are naturally flavoured with orange oil, so there certainly aren't any horrific artificial tangs and flavours to be experienced here but just a fresh, zingy, natural orange experience.

Breaking a nice triangle of chocolate off and popping into my mouth I was instantly reminded why I love Taza so much; there is nothing like the texture of this; I think it's one of those chocolates that people either love or hate...for me, I absolutely love this raw feel, as the sugar crystals and cocoa compounds slowly dissolve in my mouth unleashing the chocolate flavours.

However despite the wonderful natural feel of the orange flavour present in this bar I still felt it was slightly too powerful & overpowering, rather than eating chocolate flavoured with orange it felt more like I was eating chocolate covered orange pieces, with the overall experience that the orange offered deterring away from the deep 70% cocoa flavours that could be offered.


Taza Orange Chocolate Disk

By no means is this bad; but unfortunately I didn't feel it was as good as the couple of other varieties of Taza I have tried in the past; the texture of course is still fantastic, but I felt that the balance between the the orange & cocoa flavours could have been slightly more delicate. If you love your orange flavours strong then this will definitely be for you, but I prefer mine to be slightly more subtle.

Taste - 6.4/10 - I felt the orange overpowered that of the pure chocolate; I would have preferred it to be slightly more subtle.
Texture - 8.3/10 - I love the raw feel of Taza's chocolate.
Appearance - 7.9/10 - Looks lovely; I love the design of the disks and how each triangle is easy to snap off.
Price - 7.3/10 - These are priced at $4.50, which isn't too bad I don't think.
Overall - 7.5/10 - Nice in texture, let down slightly by taste.
_______________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?

Anyone who likes anything strongly flavoured of orange!

WHERE TO BUY?I bought mine from Wholefoods in the U.S. but you can check out Taza's website for full details.

No comments:

Post a Comment