Saturday, 18 August 2012

Vosges Woolloomooloo Bar

Ah Vosges; home to many an exotic chocolate bar, I always love to try out their different concoctions, some delicious, some..well just an experience! With a name like Woolloomooloo, this bar was difficult to resist, not only did it sound fun but the ingredients list had me drooling; named after the suburb Woolloomooloo in Sydney, Australia this bar is meant to honour the Aboriginal claim to a tasty little morsel known as the macadamia nut.

Vosges Woollmooloo Bar

Fittingly, this bar was made up of 45% deep milk chocolate, roasted & salted macadamia nuts, Indonesian coconut  & hemp seeds. Despite not being head over heels in love with Vosges' dark chocolate I am rather partial at times to their deep milk especially when paired with an array of delicious sounding ingredients.

Peeling back the wrapping of the bar there is an initial tropical cocoa whiff that emerges and snapping a strip of the chocolate in two you can certainly see that the dispersion of nuts, coconut and hemp seeds is excellent, with a scrumptious morsel in every bite.

Vosges Woollmooloo Bar

The thing I really like about Vosges bars; despite the flavour combinations sometimes not working, is the fact that they are never overly sweet; although still providing a good milk chocolate hit they still manage to maintain an almost earthy deeper feel to them. This is especially the case in this Woolloomooloo Bar, just popping a cube into my mouth evokes images in my head of inside an Australian jungle/forest with palm trees on the beach and the sea lapping up against the shore.

I love my macadamia nuts and they provide a wonderful salty element to this bar; whilst the coconut and hemp give an overall tropical feel to the chocolate. The texture contrast present is quite nice; this bar can either be "munched and crunched" giving a lovely satisfying bite from the crunchy nuts and hemp seeds, or can be allowed to melt slowly in the mouth until all your left with is small little hemp seeds, crunchy bits of nuts and chewy coconut pieces. It can be enjoyed either way and thankfully the mix ins aren't too obtrusive.

Vosges Woollmooloo Bar

This is one of the nicer bars I've tried from Vosges and I wouldn't pass up on a square of it if offered; however I didn't feel that it was anything spectacular and certainly didn't stand out as much as their Mo Bacon Bar in terms of excellence and overall experience. It was a nice well balanced tasty bar but I didn't feel it really brought anything amazing to the table.

Taste - 6.9/10 - The usual nice earthy milky taste from the deep 45% milk chocolate combined with an overall salty tropical feel from the nuts, coconut and hemp seeds.
Texture - 6.5/10 - It'll depend on how you like your chocolate bars as to whether you enjoy the texture but I liked the dispersion of the mix ins and the overall crunch they gave to the bar.
Appearence - 6.9/10 - Presented nicely and good information on the packaging.
Price - 5.4/10 - This bar was priced at $7.50 and although it was nice I could think of better things I could spend my money on.
Overall - 6.4/10 - An averagely nice bar from Vosges.
__________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who enjoys trying different style chocolate bars would probably be interested in this, certainly one more for adults.

WHERE TO BUY?
I picked mine up from Wholefoods when I was in NY; however you can buy it from the Vosges website although they have changed the bar from 45% milk chocolate to 41% milk chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. As I can see it is "Woolloomooloo", not "Woollmooloo" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing it out! Made a few typos! has been rectified :)

      Delete