Monday, 17 September 2012

Cadbury Biscuit Bar

For those of you that have been following online you will have noticed that I have already posted up a review of the other new Cadbury's bar - Toffee Popcorn; today I bring to you a review of the recently launched Dairy Milk Golden Biscuit Crunch bar! As stated in the previous review this product is also quite similar to one of Milka's bars available around Europe - the Milka Biscuit/Smores bar.

Cadbury's Dairy Milk Golden Biscuit Crunch 

In contrast to the the Toffee Popcorn bar this offering is slightly more hefty, weighing in at 200g and consists of a chocolate creme, biscuit and a vanilla creme all covered in the well known Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate. Breaking into the bar you can see that the biscuit takes up the majority of this bar - with the vanilla & chocolate cremes playing a minor part; in fact I found that the chocolate creme was barely noticeable and just seemed to merge with the chocolate covering/base. 


Cadbury's Dairy Milk Golden Biscuit Crunch

Taking my first nibble of this bar the classic sweet Dairy Milk flavour instantly comes through before you are greeted with the more savoury element of the biscuit - there is a slight vanilla sweetness that comes through from the cream but the sweet/savoury flavours from the biscuit hog the spotlight here. 

 Cadbury's Dairy Milk Golden Biscuit Crunch

The texture contrast is quite pleasant I found; you have the nice crunch from the biscuit whilst the softness of the creme acts as a sort of cushioning - however I found myself eating this as I would eat a Twix - almost scraping the creme and the chocolate from the top before nibbling the biscuit/chocolate base underneath.

To be honest though, there was something about this bar that I just didn't love - whenever companies incorporate large amounts of biscuit into chocolate bars I find that it takes them more to the savoury/sweet concoctions of the biscuit aisle rather than a chocolate bar that I would instantly think of buying if I was in need of a sweet treat. I know others will disagree but for myself I'm just not a huge fan of biscuit in chocolate bars, especially when Cadbury's already have so many other offerings actually located in the biscuit aisle that could be deemed as fairly similar to this bar. Cadbury's Dairy Milk Golden Biscuit Crunch

Taste - 6.4/10 - I found this bar to be no where near as enjoyable as the other Toffee Popcorn bar; I wasn't a fan of the biscuit element and wished the flavoured cremes were slightly more prevalent.
Texture - 7.6/10 - The texture contrast is nice between the chocolate covering, cushioning cremes and crunchy biscuit.
Appearance - 7/10 - Looks quite nice; good sized bar.
Price - 6.7/10 - I'd imagine this will be selling for around the same price as the Toffee Popcorn bar, probably between £1.50-£2.00, however I'd opt for Toffee Popcorn over this.
Overall - 6.9/10 - Nice to see something new from Cadbury's but wasn't the most enjoyable bar I've had.
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who doesn't mind biscuit in their chocolate bars will love this- however if you're a hardcore chunky chocolate fan then I wouldn't opt for this.

WHERE TO BUY?I'd imagine you can pick this bar up from all major supermarkets.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting review. I'm quite partial to a chocolate covered biscuit so I can see I would enjoy this new offering as a biscuit rather than a chocolate bar.

    It almost looks like a fancy chocolate covered digestive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes it is a bit of a fancy covered chocolate digestive! If you're partial to chocolate biscuits like this you would probably quite enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. It's becoming more and more apparent that Cadbury's has been taken over by Krat. The chocolate-covered pretzels were released in Germany at the same time, as the identical product made by Milka (also owned by Kraft), and this exact same chocolate bar made by Milka has been around for a number of years in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didnt realise that the pretzels had been launched under the Milka brand as well - its a bit sad that they just seem to replicate the products but just change the chocolate used to make it.

      Delete
  3. I cannot get behind milk chocolate... now, if they offered this in dark chocolate I'd be positively drooling.

    ReplyDelete