Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Lindt Creation Luscious Caramel & Velvety Vanilla Almond

I am always really jealous when I hear of the various new bars that Lindt regularly unveil in other European countries - there always seems to be a constant influx of inviting flavours that I just wish I could get my hands on! You can imagine my delight then when I heard that Lindt were launching 4 new flavours of their Lindt Creation bars in the UK!

As I have mentioned in the past Lindt holds a nostalgic place in my heart, I always find their creamy sweet alpine tasting chocolate not only comforting but also extremely satisfying when it comes to meeting my chocolate cravings.

Lindt Creation Bars 

The first 2 Creation bars that I am going to review for you today both involve an element of caramel : Luscious Caramel consists of a caramel and smooth milk truffle centre coated in milk chocolate; whilst the Velvety Vanilla Almond is filled with crisp almond pieces, a vanilla flavour truffle and a caramel layer before again being covered in the classic creamy Lindt milk chocolate.

Both bars are in the usual 100g standard format but are obviously quite a bit thicker than the normal bars of chocolate that Lindt offer due to there being a substantial filling in the Creation Bars.


Luscious Caramel - 8/10

Lindt Creation Bars
           Lindt Creation Bars 


The description of this bar sounded delightful, not only did it contain a thick sumptuous caramel but also a layer of smooth milk chocolate truffle.
I really hoped that this wouldn't be one of those ridiculously soft liquid caramel bars on which, on biting into it you are instantly coated in a sticky caramel mess - I am pleased to say that thankfully it was not! The caramel texture was akin to that of a Cadbury's Dairy Milk - more of a thick, sticky caramel. However the taste was so much better!
The usual wonderful flavours of the creamy, milky Lindt chocolate came through instantly and as the cube slowly melted on your tongue the sweet chewy, gooey caramel began to enrobe the whole of your mouth providing it's wonderful sweet flavours. I can see why this bar is called "luscious" at this is exactly the word that comes to mind when sucking on a cube of this chocolate bar - it feels extremely luxurious and certainly a step up from your usual commercial caramel bars. My only problem was that I didn't really notice the truffle base that much, despite it making up quite a large proportion, don't get me wrong you can certainly tell there is something else within the bar but the caramel is certainly the star of the show here.

Velvety Vanilla Almond - 6.6/10

Lindt Creation Bars                  Lindt Creation Bars 

I was pleased to hear that there were almonds contained in this bar! I feel they are so often a nut that is overlooked in terms of producing mainstream chocolate - we are overloaded with hazelnuts whilst the almond gets limited spotlight. Unfortunately; although placed on the description of this bar you don't really get a whole lot of almond in this bar - there is the odd crunchy bit here but the whole flavour of the almond and what it could offer to this bar is overwhelmed by the extremely sweet vanilla truffle, caramel layer and creamy milk chocolate. For those of you that have a big sweet tooth I can imagine that you will love this - the vanilla truffle provides quite a strong yet pleasant sweet vanilla flavour whilst the caramel atop adds its burnt sugar notes; however it plays a much smaller role in this bar compared to that of the Luscious Caramel.
As I munched my way through a few cubes of this bar I started to get the sense that it reminded me of something else, I pondered for quite a while before deciding that it evoked thoughts of Creme Brulee, the sweet caramel and vanilla representing the custard whilst the crisp almond pieces were more like the burnt sugar you would find atop the dessert. It's not a bad bar by any means, I just found that I was hoping from so much more from the almond element of this bar and was maybe a tad too sweet for me.


Taste - 7.2/10
- The Luscious Caramel bar was my favourite out of the 2 bar far, I found that the Velvety Vanilla Almond was a tad too sweet for me.

Texture - 8/10 - The texture of Luscious Caramel bar is so luxurious and melts superbly on the tongue; the texture of the Velvety Vanilla Almond isn't as good due to the pieces of almond that are barely recognisable are more akin to bits of burnt sugar.
Appearance - 8.4/10 - Lovely looking packaging and on breaking a cube in half the cross section looks delicious.
Price - 7.4/10 - These are priced around £1.99 in the supermarkets that I've seen them in but are on special at £1.25 on the Lindt Creation website at the moment! Easily accessible for most yet also tasty.
Overall - 7.7/10 - As you can see from this review I much preferred the Luscious Caramel and although the Velvety Vanilla Almond is worth a try I found it a tad disappointing.
____________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who loves Lindt chocolate is sure to get some satisfaction from these bars - great for keeping in the cupboard for a delicious luxurious treat as the winter nights start to draw closer!

WHERE TO BUY?
I've seen these bars in various supermarkets - Tesco, Sainsbury's etc so far; but you can also check out the Lindt chocolate website for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment