Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Green & Blacks Milk Chocolate with Sea Salt

Ever since the sea salt craze started a few years ago it has become more and more prevalent in commercial readily available chocolates rather than just haute chocolate boutiques. Green & Blacks recently unveiled a couple of new bars one of which was this 37% Milk Chocolate bar with delicate flakes of Anglesey Sea Salt.

 

In the past I haven't particularly been a huge fan of Green & Black's milk chocolate, its not creamy/milky enough for me and I find it rather dark for a 37% bar with much more fruity undertones that I would come to expect from a darker bar..which is fine if I'm eating a dark chocolate bar, but if I buy milk chocolate I'm expecting something a tad more creamier on the palate.

As I popped a cube into my mouth I also found that due to the overwhelming deeper milk chocolate flavour that the taste of sea salt wasn't particularly prevalent and was masked by the overall stronger chocolate tastes.

 


 As the chocolate slowly melted on my tongue the taste of sea salt began to grow more, with the finish having a slight tang to it; however it was certainly nothing spectacular and definitely didn't have that wonderful salty almost savoury feel to it.

I'm not sure whether it was the Green & Black's milk chocolate or whether it was the lack of sea salt in the bar but I found that together it just didn't really work for me and I normally like my salted chocolates. I guess the only plus is that the salt flakes that were in the bar weren't particularly obtrusive to the overall melt and texture; although having said that the melt isn't greatly smooth nor creamy anyway. I can only hope that the new Dark Chocolate & Chilli bar from Green & Black's may be slightly better.


 

Taste - 4.7/10 - I just found that the Green & Blacks chocolate didn't particularly work with the sea salt.

Texture - 5.6/10 - Not bad but not amazing, the sea salt wasn't obtrusive but the melt wasn't luxurious and enrobing.
Appearance - 6.3/10 - Standard Green & Black's colour scheme and layout.
Price - 6.5/10 - These are normally between £1.50 - £2.00 a bar; meaning that it's relatively accessible for all if you fancy trying it.
Overall - 5.8/10 - Not one of the best bars from Green & Black's, I was hoping for slightly better.
________________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?This will probably only for people who are big fans of the general Green & Black's milk chocolate.

WHERE TO BUY?You'll be able to buy this from all major supermarkets and retailers or you can get it online at Green & Black's website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's so interesting how we all differ. My favourite chocolate is a really dark milk chocolate - 60% being the best. Makes it good and chocolatey and not too sweet, but still having that slightly creamy quality.

    Although I would prefer G&B to have a higher cocoa content in their milk chocolate, I still find it one of the best high street brands with Almond being my favourite. I actually found this bar to be more salty than not, but I really quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete