Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Ferrero Wine & Chocolate Tasting Evening

What with Christmas coming up it was the perfect time for the lovely people at Ferrero Rocher to get in touch, to offer me the opportunity to host my very own chocolate and wine tasting evening. A delightful hamper filled with goodies was sent out, so I called my nearest and dearest round at the weekend to host a fun filled evening packed with chocolate/wine treats!

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

Although I am a big chocolate fan I very rarely drink wine, so was pleased to see that there was a nice little guide pack popped in with the hamper to give me details of which chocolates should be paired with what; what aroma, nose, palate I should be looking out for and a description of how to be able to pair wine with any types of food. I read this out at the beginning of my party to ensure that me and my 6 other guests all knew how to go about the tasting.

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

I gave each person a little piece of paper and a pen and one at a time we had a go at pouring ourselves a glass of wine and taking the appropriate chocolate; we each took a bite of the chocolate first before sampling the wine and then made notes of what we experienced. Naturally I figured to start at the lightest chocolate/wine and work our way up to the darkest.

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

We therefore started on Raffaello by Ferrero paired with Martini Asti NV (Piedmont, Italy); this was the first time I'd tried either the chocolate or the wine. The Raffaello was delicious; we all picked up on the wonderful coconut flavours, the smooth, light, creamy texture of the chocolate and the earthy almond innards; we agreed that it paired really well with the wine, light and slightly acidic with hints of peach it was like a coconut peach snowball all rolled into one. At the end of the night we all agreed that this was probably our favourite pairing.

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

Moving on we sampled the more commonly known Ferrero Rocher, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with - the classic crispy wafer, creamy filling and a whole hazelnut in the centre, it's so easy to just pop in one after the other of these. This was paired with the spicy Croix Milhas Rivesaltes Ambré (Languedoc-Roussillon, France); each of us had our say as to what we could taste/smell in this wine and we all agreed that it had a nice rich caramel flavour to it that worked well with the nutty praline flavour of the classic Ferrero Rocher.

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

The last chocolate/wine pairing that we got the pleasure of trying was the deep dark Ferrero Rond Noir, consisting of a wafer, smooth chocolate cream and a dark chocolate almond pearl centre, another one I had yet to try. This was paired with the rich dark Dows Finest Reserve Port (Duero, Portugal). To be honest I had my doubts about this wine; I can barely handle a light fruity wine never mind a deep port and I thought from the offset that this wouldn't be to my liking; unfortunately I was right, it is a delightful port if you enjoy this but I found it to be too dark for me, my friends were delighted as it meant that they could drink more! The chocolate however I loved, it was deep rich and oh so chocolatey and despite me not liking the wine I could definitely see how this pairing would work with the wines cherry acidity and spice.

Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

All in all we had a fantastic evening and after my first time hosting an event like this I would definitely do something like it again; it was great fun with great friends enjoying good food and drink! It also offered us all the opportunity to sample some new chocolates and gain an insight into the wine tasting world! They're all now just asking when the next one will be!


Ferrero Chocolate & Wine Tasting

Also there was still a couple of bits left over so all you lucky readers have the chance to enter a CHRISTMAS COMPETITION, all you need to do is follow + RT me on Twitter @LotOChoc and you could be in a chance of receiving a little Christmas hamper made courtesy of me!


Taste - 8.3/10 - We all loved sampling the various chocolates/wines but we agreed our favourite was the Raffaello.
Texture - 8.2/10 - I loved the crispy/smooth contrast of Ferrero Rocher and the wines provided the perfect counterpart.
Appearance - 9.4/10 - The hamper looked beautiful and all of the Ferrero products looked gorgeous.
Price - NA/10 - It's hard to put a price on all of these products but if you're looking to host an evening like this and have a few friends who are willing to chip in I would definitely recommend it.
Overall - 8.6/10 - Such a fun filled night!
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone who enjoys chocolate would love to have a night like this!

WHERE TO BUY?
You can pick up Ferrero Rocher from almost anywhere and the wines from supermarkets/wine sellers.

7 comments:

  1. Wow what a lovely hamper! Raffaello are my favourite chocolates, I only discovered them last year and I can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so cool!! What a fun opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun evening! Love all the reviews on here:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...wine AND chocolate...a combo that can't be beat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a box of FR every year! They are sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing.. wine and chocolate are my favourite things ever! :) x
    @LilinhaAngel

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely decadent and delicious. My favorite type of party to have at home is wine and chocolate with my family and closest friends. Add some jazz and a few scented candles for a completely relaxing environment.

    ReplyDelete