Monday, 10 December 2012

House of Dorchester Gingerbread Truffles

When House of Dorchester sent me their Christmas selection to review, I must admit, these were probably the chocolates that I was looking forward to the least, I'm never normally a huge fan of ginger in chocolates, usually they end up too spicy and heated for me, and are generally, just not what I would go for in a chocolate.

House of Dorchester Gingerbread Truffles

However, I couldn't be more wrong about these truffles, I am pleased to say they were absolutely delicious; I was half-expecting to try one and then donate the rest to various family members to give them an opportunity to try them. I must admit that I kept most of them for myself as they were that delicious!

House of Dorchester Gingerbread Truffles

A spiced ginger truffle centre surrounded in 70% dark chocolate, these are the perfect combination between the sweet truffle centre (although I must admit the orange colouring was slightly perturbing) and the darker chocolate exterior. I've found in the past with ginger chocolates that they can sometimes be a tad too bitter for my liking, this was definitely not the case here. Although the truffle innards may have been too sweet on their own when enjoyed with the dark chocolate shell it was ideal.

The texture wasn't particularly rich, in that "decadent float away on a cloud of truffley goodness" way, but it was still acceptable in that I still enjoyed tucking into them. I can't think of anything better than cracking these open on Christmas evening with a warm drink and sharing them out between the family, I know that's what I'd be doing if I had any left!

House of Dorchester Gingerbread Truffles

Taste - 8.2/10
- I was really pleasantly surprised with these chocolates, I expected a lot less and ended up thoroughly enjoying them.
Texture - 6.9/10 - Not really rich/truffle-esque, but still tasty enough.
Appearance - 6.3/10 - I found the bright orange truffle centre slightly perturbing but other than that the chocolates look relatively nice, packaged in a nice festive box.
Price - 7.7/10 - These are priced at £6.99 for a box of 9, I think this is pretty good value, especially when you taste how nice they are.
Overall - 7.3/10 - A winter warming chocolate treat.
______________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?I definitely think these are more of a chocolate for adults rather than children; I'm not sure they would be a fan of the ginger/dark chocolate flavour.

WHERE TO BUY?You can pick these up in most department stores or online on House of Dorchester's website, there's only a few days left to order before Christmas so if you want some make sure to get there now!

2 comments:

  1. I am cautious about chocolate with flavours like ginger too. But I'd be willing to try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that sounds delicious. I'm always up for ginger spiced foods!

    ReplyDelete