Friday, 19 April 2013

Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations : Jelly Popping Candy Shells

I remember reading a while ago that Cadbury's had teamed up with Mondalez and were planning to go "Wonka-style" on some of their new chocolate bars - aka packing them full of various delicious sweet bits n bobs, these new bars were to be known as "Marvellous Creations". I haven't actually seen these bars released in stores yet near me but thanks to Cadbury's lovely PR team I was given the opportunity to sample them.

Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations : Jelly Popping Candy Shells

Firstly I must point out that I was pleased to see that these new bars were actually Dairy Milk chocolate instead of the lower tier Cadbury's chocolate blend that is used for the likes of Easter Eggs etc and is often quite a bit sweeter. This is the proper creamy, milky, sweet classic chocolate that most of us know and love!


It was hard deciding which bar to try first but out of curiousity I went for the Jelly Popping Candy Shells; lots of people seem to despise popping candy..to be honest, it doesn't really make that big a difference to me, don't love it, don't hate it..I find it's just sort of there. However I was looking forward to seeing what the jelly pieces mixed with the candy shells would be like in the chocolate bar; when I was younger I used to adore Nestle's Smarties Bar..the addition of crunchy candy pieces wrapped in chocolate...it did it for me!

You can definitely see that Cadbury's went for the wacky theme in terms of these bars; the squares aren't uniform but are a whole host of random shapes, quite difficult if you want a "serving" per se but I rather did like not being constrained to the classic chocolate "chunk".

Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations : Jelly Popping Candy Shells

Taking a bite into it I was hoping for it to be rammed full of jellies & candy shells..unfortunately I was extremely disappointed..out of the few cubes that I had I didn't get a single jelly piece! Yes, I got a few candy shells and they were deliciously reminiscent of my Smarties bar, yes it worked well, but I just feel that there should have been more. Instead of just choosing a chocolate piece at random I therefore decided to "hunt" for a piece that I thought would give a full overview of what the  bar should be like and find my beloved jellies. I eventually did find a piece and I must say I thought it all worked pretty well together; the jellies were chewy,fruity and refreshing, candy shells crunchy and sweet and if you like popping candy well then that's great, but to be honest I wasn't really too fussed.


All in all I must say that I think this was a pretty good addition to the Cadbury's range if you're looking for something a bit "different" alas I think that if they were really going for the crazy Wonka theme they really needed to added a whole lot more of the "add ins".

Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations : Jelly Popping Candy Shells


Don't forget that there is also the Cookie Nut Crunch to review too and for all you lucky readers I'm giving away a bar of each via my Twitter competition..all you simply have to do is FOLLOW & RT me @LotOChoc

Taste - 8.2/10 - Good classic Dairy Milk Chocolate, jellies were pleasantly fruity when you got one.
Texture - 5.4/10 - Texture is let down as in terms of the dispersion of the add ins it wasn't brilliant and there certainly wasn't enough.
Appearance - 8/10 - I really like the non-uniform style of this bar, it looks great.
Price - 7.3/10 - I presume these are going to be priced in line with Cadbury's other larger bars, therefore probably around £2. Fairly good value.
Overall - 7.2/10- A success just more add ins were needed!!
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?This seems a very "family-esque" bar; one you'd get in over the weekend and share it with the kids.

WHERE TO BUY?I presume you'll be able to pick this up at all major supermarkets/stores soon.

4 comments:

  1. superb blog i love the dairy Milk creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have bought 2 of these bars and had absolutely no popping candy or candy shells in either bar..a faulty batch im guessing...not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats a shame - you should write a letter of complaint and inform them. I'm pretty sure that's not how they're supposed to be haha!

      Delete