Friday, 19 July 2013

Kingdom Peanut Butter Chocolate

I always find it an exciting prospect when I find a new chocolate bar; I find it even more exciting when said chocolate bar contains 'peanut butter' in the title.
In my opinion there simply isn't enough peanut butter themed chocolates in the UK market; go to America and you're swamped with peanut butter here, there and everywhere Over here, not so much.

Kingdom Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar

Browsing the shelves at Waitrose last week this bar from Kingdom automatically stood out to me; its bright orange packaging and the description of 'Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Centre', I was virtually running to the counter to pay!


I'd never heard of Kingdom Chocolate previously and with further investigation I found out that they are a relatively new company, only launched in March 2013, based in Sussex and producing a filled range of chocolate bars. I was hoping that this would satisfy my ever longing yearning for a good British peanut butter chocolate bar!

Kingdom Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar

Taking my first bite of a cube of this chocolate I was quite surprised when I saw the brown truffle like filling, I was expecting a lighter brown/orange tinge reminiscent of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups filling. Slowly nibbling through the cube and letting it melt in my mouth I wasn't particularly hit with any strong peanut butter flavours; there is a light nutty background flavour but for advertising it as 'peanut butter' I was expecting a much stronger punch.


Kingdom Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar

However I was impressed with the overall creaminess of the chocolate bar; at 30% cocoa solids this bar packs a good chocolate punch with a gorgeously creamy melt, reminding me of Milka's Alpine Milk. I guess this is where the positive side of the truffle like filling comes into play; although the peanut butter flavour isn't strong the truffle like texture is beautiful and complements the bar delightfully.


Kingdom Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chocolate Bar

I don't think I would have been as disappointed if I didn't love peanut butter so much but I was expecting a much stronger flavour and just felt a bit let down..maybe I should just spread some peanut butter on top of a cube next time I eat it...


Taste - 5.9/10 - A nice creamy milky chocolate; however severely lacking in peanut butter punch.
Texture - 8/10 - Beautifully melts in the mouth.
Appearance - 6.9/10 - A nice eye catching packaging with good nutritional information.
Price - 6.8/10 - This was priced at £1.69 in Waitrose; not bad value but I think if I was in need of a stronger PB chocolate I would buy Reese's which I can pick up for  around 70p.
Overall - 6.9/10 - A nice chocolate bar in its own right, just not enough peanut butter flavour.
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?If you're after a deliciously creamy chocolate bar then buy this. If you love peanut butter and are expecting a strong nutty flavour, don't.

WHERE TO BUY?I found this bar in my local Waitrose store but you can also learn more about Kingdom Chocolate on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment