Thursday, 21 November 2013

Eden's Gourmet Caramel Apples

It seems to be that the UK market, especially around me, never offers a good, chunky, decent caramel apple. Every year around Halloween/Guy Fawkes night the supermarkets get some in, but these are often tiny little thing coated in a toffee so hard that they would crack your teeth and an apple that tastes as if it's been sitting on a counter for about ten years!

Eden's Caramel Gourmet Apples

Whenever I've been on past family trips to Florida, I always pick up a chocolate caramel apple, over there they are just a different class, thick ooey gooey caramel and delightful chocolate...every time I visit I silently yearn hoping that one day there will be something as tasty offered in the UK. Thankfully that day has come!


I was contacted recently by a company called Eden's Apples (a very good company name I thought so myself as these are certainly deliciously good forbidden fruit). They take crispy, tart apples and immerse them in homemade caramel sauce, before swirling them through Belgian chocolate and a variety of ingredients ranging from nuts to Oreo style cookie pieces.  Even the description had my mouth watering!

Eden's Caramel Gourmet Apples


You can get them in either milk or dark chocolate; I opted to try the milk varieties due to personal preference; when they arrived I was astounded at the size of them! There are certainly no half measures here, these are heavy and will definitely do you a few servings!!


Eden's Caramel Gourmet Apples

Cutting into the crisp apple I could immediately see how good quality these were going to be; the caramel is sticky yet soft and there is a generous coating of milk chocolate on them. Popping a piece into my mouth my expectations were thoroughly surpassed. These are absolutely delicious!!!


The apple is fresh, crisp, tart and sweet all at the same time. The caramel is ooey, gooey, chewy and sweet whilst the milk chocolate adds that extra dimension to it...and do I even need to talk about what these have been dipped in! The Oreo cookies add a lovely crunch; as do the pecan nuts on the other variety I was sent. Ultimately however I feel that is the homemade caramel that is the star of the show here..it's impeccable!

Eden's Caramel Gourmet Apples

If you don't get round to eating it all in one sitting (which would be surprising considering how good these are) you can store them in the fridge with a squeeze of lemon juice to stop the apple browning. Personally I think these would make a great gift for over the Christmas period as oppose to a box of chocolates; its something completely different and would definitely make a unique present. Plus the apple counts as one of your five a day right....


Taste - 8.6/10 - Incredibly decadent.
Texture - 9.2/10 - Crispy apple, chewy caramel + crunchy exterior. Perfect.
Appearance - 9.1/10 - Presented beautifully and even has the nutritional information on it! A winner in my books!
Price - 7.3/10 - One apple is £7.95 which at first sounds quite expensive but when you think you may pay £10+ for a decent box of chocolates it's actually not too bad.
Overall - 8.6/10 - An alternative yet delicious treat!
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?A great alternative gift for any sweet tooth!

WHERE TO BUY?At the minute the company is quite new so can only be purchased online on their website or in Harrods.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow these look amazing! Definitely the best way to get one of your five a day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is almost word for word what I was going to say!

      Great review.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. £7.95??!! For an APPLE!!

      Clearly we have different ideas on what qualifies as value for money.

      Great review as always and I'm sure they taste lovely but they'd have to have solid gold pips before I'd be interested at that price.

      Also available in Harrods? No doubt. Think I'll wait it out to see if Aldi do a rip-off version for £1.50 somewhere down the line.

      Delete