Friday, 24 January 2014

Guido Castagna Speziati Box - Spiced Chocolates

You may remember that late last year I had the pleasure of trying some of Guido Castagna's delicious gianduja chocolates; in fact I was actually sent a selection of various goods to sample so I thought it was about time to crack on with another review of the many gorgeous looking  products that I've got lurking in my chocolate cupboard - what Christmas excess?!

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

With a ribbon adorning the box with the words 'Spezati', my ignorance of Italian presumed that this meant 'special', what with the luxurious looking chocolates inside you can see why this may have been my presumption. However after further detailed analysis via Google Translate it came to my attention that it in fact meant 'spicy'. After having a look at the chocolates in the box and determining their flavours via more translation work, it's understandable.

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

It's safe to say that the chocolates contained in this box are of the unusual variety; with 16 chocolates in the box in total and 4 different flavours, there is : 1) Cinnamon + Calendula , 2)Ginger, 3)Cardamom + Mauve, 4)Paprika + Pink Peppercorn.
So as you can see they all contain spices to some degree, along with the addition of some plant/flower flavours in there too.

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

To be perfectly honest on first outset these didn't really seem like the type of chocolates I would normally go for; although I like high quality dark bars, I think there is a fine line between good quality and flavours that are just a bit too "out there" for the general population. In this instance I stand in the latter.

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

The quality of the chocolates was without doubt superb, the flavours were spot on, not too overpowering, well balanced, good rich textures and I could eat them - ultimately I didn't massively enjoy them though. I found that they were just a tad too abstract for me and carrying a price tag of £19.00 they would be more suitable for those who prefer the tastes of non-traditional filled chocolates.

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

Guido Castagna Speziati Box

Taste - 5.4/10
- The flavours are executed well ; however I can't see the majority of people finding these the type of chocolates they would particularly enjoy especially when there is such a plethora of other offerings out there.
Texture - 6.2/10 - The truffle centres are quite thick and dense; not as smooth as I would have liked.
Appearance - 7/10- Simplistic yet elegant, very haute chocolatier-esque.
Price - 5.5/10 - At £19.00 for 16 chocolates these are definitely pricey.
Overall - 6/10 - Approach only if you enjoy non-conventional flavours.
________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
I'd have to specifically know that the person I was buying these for would enjoy more unusual flavours; they're not the type of chocolates I would  buy as a random gift for someone.

WHERE TO BUY?They can be purchased online at Pristie's store here.

No comments:

Post a Comment