Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Heston from Waitrose Chocolate Box

Heston Blumenthal's relationship with Waitrose and the various products he has "produced" for them under his name have quite often intrigued me; after having an extremely pleasant experience with his strawberry & lychee gateau over Christmas I couldn't wait to try his chocolate selection.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

To say I had high hopes for these would be a bit of an understatement; I was hoping they were going to  be sublime..the flavours sounded delicious and I knew that if executed well they could be something quite fabulous.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

Containing Earl Grey & Lemon, Mandarin Caramel, Muscovado Caramel, Black Forest Gateau, Thyme & Rosemary, Macadamia Praline and Spiced Caramel there was certainly something in there to tempt everyone's taste buds.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

Opening the box up they are all daintily presented; neat and tidy they give the impression that they were looking to stand up to the realms of an artisan haute style box of chocolates rather than your generic large Belgian supermarket standard. Therefore if this is what I'm expecting then that's what I'm hoping to get.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

Unfortunately I cannot say these lived up to expectations whatsoever; I'd hoped for amazing things from the Macadamia Praline - it tasted of nothing.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

The Black Forest Gateau was sickly, over powering and altogether just too much.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

I had similar experiences with all 3 of the caramels; which I question whether they should even be called "caramels" and not "watery liquid sugar goo". Very disappointing.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

The Earl Grey & Lemon/Thyme & Rosemary were certainly not subtle enough; the flavour was overwhelming and verging on sickly; they could have been executed so much better.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

To top things off the quality of the chocolate just isn't up to scratch, if I pay £10+ for a box of chocolates and especially if it has Heston's name attributed to it I expect something a bit better than what I was graced with. The concept is all there it just seems that the execution is lacking.

Heston's from Waitrose Chocolate Box

Taste - 3.2/10 
- Very poor, there wasn't one chocolate in the box that I could say I actually liked.
Texture - 4.4/10 - Again very poor, caramels too runny, pralines/truffles not smooth enough.
Appearance - 6/10 - They looked pretty and design was nice.
Price - 3.4/10 - I got these on special offer for £10, normal price is £13.50, definitely not worth it.
Overall - 4.3/10 - A lovely idea executed very poorly.
_______________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?I offered some for my family to try and some of them quite enjoyed them; I'd maybe recommend these to people who fancy trying something a bit different but don't have access to high end artisan chocolate shops - maybe kind of like a gateway chocolate.

WHERE TO BUY?You can pick these up from Waitrose.

2 comments:

  1. what a shame there was nothing really interesting...

    ...he could have done a bacon and egg one (like his restaurant is famous for) or a garlic one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who was so disappointed... the quality of chocolate was certainly way below all the other grades of chocolate which Waitrose stocks. I was expecting more unusual flavours, too.

    ReplyDelete