Saturday, 2 August 2014

Paul A Young Chocolate Selection

Now that I'm living in London I feel utterly spoiled with all the chocolates at my finger tips, to be honest I didn't really know where to start but I knew that one of my first calling points would be Paul A Young's shop in Soho; I've had great past experiences with his chocolates and popped in just to get a small selection of a few different bits that took my fancy.

Paul A Young Chocolate

Paul A Young Chocolate< I opted for a small box of 4 and picked up a Scones, Clotted Cream & Blackcurrant Jam chocolate, a  Treacle Tart chocolate, his famous Marmite truffle and a Banoffee Pie chocolate that I've tried previously and thoroughly enjoyed.

The idea of a scones, cream and jam chocolate really appealed to me; I wondered whether he could manage to fit all those flavours in one small dainty chocolate; the chocolate is coated in a slight dusting which I suppose is meant to represent the scone, whilst the inside is a creamy clotted cream ganache with a liquid blackcurrant coulis/jam. The flavour is sharp from the blackcurrant but the mellow clotted cream helps to offset it; it's nice but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list to get if I were going back - possibly a personal preference thing as I would prefer strawberry/raspberry jam on my scones but nonetheless it's something a bit different to try.

Paul A Young Chocolate

The Treacle Tart was far more up my street; a deliciously rich and smooth ganache centre that had all the right flavours of molasses and rich treacle with crunchy nibbly pastry like pieces in the enrobing chocolate. A firm winner for me.

Paul A Young Chocolate

I'm one of those strange people that doesn't really fall into loving nor hating Marmite; I'm kind of indifferent to it - I felt the same with this chocolate. It's quite a dark bitter malty chocolate with that classic Marmite taste; the texture of the ganache is delightful but the overall flavour I wasn't a massive fan of. If you absolutely love Marmite I'd definitely say to at least give this a go!

Paul A Young Chocolate

I knew from trying the Banoffee Pie previously that I loved it; milk chocolate, banana ganache and caramel sauce - what's not to like really. A simple chocolate that I can imagine would appeal to everyone's tastes.


Paul A Young Chocolate



So pretty much a mixed box from Paul A Young here; more down to my personal preference than anything being particularly wrong with the chocolates. I look forward to trying some more in the future.

Taste - 7.2/10 - Treacle Tart was definitely my favourite.
Texture - 8.6/10 - All impeccable.
Appearance - 7/10 - Nicely presented, smooth finishes.
Price - 6.8/10 - I think these worked out around £1.70 a chocolate if I remember correctly, so they are quite expensive, so you just have to choose wisely.
Overall - 7.4/10 - Personal preference got in the way of me fully enjoying this box. 2 of them were however; utterly delicious.
__________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
A box of these chocolates would make a great gift for others or yourself and there's definitely something for everyone in store.

WHERE TO BUY?Paul A Young's stores in Soho or Camden Passage.

2 comments:

  1. Yuck at the marmite, but all the rest sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work fairly near his shop in The Royal Exchange slap bang in The City ;o)

    ReplyDelete