Monday, 20 October 2014

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween Bars : Chocolate Spiced Pumpkin & Toasted Caramel Toffee Apple

On a recent trip back up north I popped into my local Fenwicks store and was delighted to see a couple of limited edition Halloween bars by the guys at The Chocolate Smiths; I love how virtually every time I'm in there, there's a new bar from themselves, boasting unique flavours and helping to keep the range fresh.

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween


The Chocolate Smiths Halloween

These are both classed as 'Bizarre' bars but I don't think there's anything in these bars that are too particularly out there when you compare them to some others they offer in the range; the major one that appealed to me was the milk chocolate bar filled with delicately spiced pumpkin - I absolutely love pumpkin so I was quite sure that this was going to be a winner in my books.

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween

Opening it up the bar has been dusted with a light gold shimmer and thankfully, unlike some of the other filled bars from The Chocolate Smiths, this one was a lot easier to snap into cubes, filled with a light brown ganache like filling. Taking a bite of the bar it was delicious; lightly spiced with lovely hints of cinnamon and nutmeg with a background sweet,nutty,earthy flavour brought from the pumpkin. If you're a big fan of Starbucks PSL, which I am, then you are going to absolutely adore this.

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween

The other bar I picked up was Toasted Caramel Toffee Apple, a white chocolate bar boasting a filling of toasted shards of caramel and a sour toffee apple filling - this bar has been a bit more elaborately decorated with 'booo' written across it. This bar however was a lot more messy to break into pieces and ended up being quite a sticky affair; the toffee apple filling is quite sweet but does have that slight acidic backnote due to the sour nature of it, balancing quite well with the creamy vanilla white chocolate. My only problem, I didn't find any caramel shards! I don't know where they were, or what they were meant to be like but I couldn't see any in my bar.

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween

The Chocolate Smiths Halloween

If I had to choose between the 2 then I would probably opt for the milk chocolate pumpkin bar; although both are really good and I think make a nice alternative to the generic chocolates bumped into just different novelty packaging/shapes that are often seen around Halloween.

Taste - 8.2/10 - Both really good, the pumpkin wins for me though.
Texture - 7.4/10 - Smooth creamy fillings, the toffee apple bar was a bit messy though and I couldn't find any caramel shards.
Appearance - 7.5/10 - Both look great.
Price - 6.9/10  - I'm pretty sure I paid about £3.99 for these in Fenwicks; more expensive than your bog standard chocolate bar but not extortionate when you consider the different aspects/novelty flavours of the bar.
Overall - 7.5/10 - Two nice bars, I'm really excited about The Chocolate Smiths as a brand to see what they develop in the future - look out for my review of their Christmas bars that will be following in a few weeks!
__________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
I'm not sure whether people give out Halloween gifts these days, but if they do it would be a great treat for that, or if you're just generally a fan of trying different chocolates then I would certainly give these a go.

WHERE TO BUY?
In Fenwicks, certain delis in the North East or online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment