Saturday, 31 January 2015

Cadbury Rocky Road Bar

I was lucky enough to receive a bar of this delicious looking Cadbury Rocky Road for Christmas, currently sold on the Australian market it consisted of marshmallows, cherry flavoured jellies, peanuts and coconut, a bit like a Marvellous Creation Bar really apart from all of the components of a Rocky Road - although I do feel that there should have been some biscuit in there, maybe instead of the coconut/peanuts. Oh well.

Dairy Milk Rocky Road

The Australian Cadbury Dairy Milk blend is different to that of the UK, a different emulsifier is used and milk solids are used in the Australian version - taking a bite into it I do think you can tell the chocolate is different, it's a bit sweeter and less creamy/milky compared to the UK version, albeit it's still pleasant but not as melt in the mouth - not that it matters so much in this bar as its more of a 'munching' bar than one you would let melt & savour due to the multiple inclusions.

There's certainly a lot of mix ins in the bar - desiccated coconut, peanuts, marshmallows & cherry jellies leading to a jam packed chocolate bar. However in all honestly I was slightly disappointed, this didn't massively remind me of a Rocky Road. The marshmallows were really firm, hard and crunchy, where as they should have been light and fluffy, same with the cherry jellies - I wish they had been chewy like in the Marvellous Creations Jelly Popping Candy Bar.

Dairy Milk Rocky Road

For me the peanuts + the coconut had no place in the bar and should have been replaced with biscuit, the nibbly peanut additions were pleasant but I wasn't a huge fan of the coconut which I felt gave it a bit of a gritty texture. Eating the bar I was met with more of a hard chewy fruity/nut affair rather than the gooey soft marshmallow, crunchy biscuit I expect from a Rocky Road.

Dairy Milk Rocky Road

Did I enjoy it? Yes it was still a pleasant enjoyable chocolate bar but I certainly think there's a lot of things that could be improved in it, and is it Rocky Road? Well no I don't feel it is and for this reason I wouldn't go out and buy it again. If you're a big fruit & nut fan then I think this is a good different alternative and certainly if you like trying chocolate from different countries then sure, give it a go, but if you're looking for a delicious Rocky Road affair then I'd steer clear.

Taste - 5.4/10 - Disappointing, too fruit & nut like, wasn't a fan of the coconut flavour in the bar.
Texture - 4.6/10 - Cherry jellies & marshmallows were far too hard and chewy, the coconut gave it too much of a gritty texture.
Appearance - 6.3/10 - Looks fine, good dispersion of mix ins.
Price - 5.0/10 - The price of this varies online depending on where you buy it from, I believe the person who bought it for me got it from eBay for around £7.00 you can also buy the 220g bar from
Sanza for £5.20.
Overall - 5.3/10 - Not enough like a Rocky Road for me I'm afraid.

__________________________________________________________________________________WHO WHO FOR?
Someone looking for something a bit different compared to all the Cadbury's bars available on the UK market, more something for a fruit & nut lover than someone looking for a gooey, crunchy, Rocky Road like bar.
WHERE TO BUY?Sanza, an online store, selling Australian, New Zealand & South African foods is probably your best bet and can purchase here.

No comments:

Post a Comment